A&H

Players equipment

Bongsmon

Level 4 Referee
I remember watching a champions league game on the telly from old Trafford a couple of seasons ago and a player's boot came off. He picked it up & a short while later received the ball whilst still only wearing one boot.
The referee blew his whistle & awarded an indirect free kick to United. Didn't go down well with the away side but in the discussions afterwards he was shown to have applied the laws of the game correctly and I also looked this up myself and found it.
Has this part of law been changed coz I can't seem to find it & what would be the correct thing to do if a player loses his shin pad in a similar manner & then some 20 seconds later receives the ball?

The Referee Store
The issue is that the player's equipment (or lack of it) means he is playing in a dangerous manner which is defined as any action that, while
trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player himself). Game stopped IDFK awarded.

Thanks - I knew I was right!!!
I gave that decision on the line yesterday. The ref blew & publicly backed me but said after the game that he thought I may have been wrong in law

I agree with Brian. Interesting actually, as it reminded me of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29940485

A player loses both boots, but still makes an assist. Should play have been stopped? Or was the referee right to let the game continue?

Back