A&H

Players standing in front of ALL free kicks

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
At the weekend u15 game I had green v stripes. Whenever the stripes had a free kick a green player would stand in front of it to stop them playing it quickly. I've seen this done by defending teams a lot of the time when defending a free kick on the edge of their box to avoid a quick one. But these greens were doing for everything even when it was an offside and the stripes were taking the free kick on the edge of their own box.

I don't know whether I should have cautioned the green players for it, as I'd often tell them to retreat and they would. A small part of me wanted a stripes player to just take it quick and hit the green player standing over the ball so I could caution them! But how would all of you dealt with it?

It was annoying with the offsides having to jog back tell them to move and then having to jog down field in order to get in position for the kick to be taken!

The Referee Store
Presumably something that has been coached into them

Persistent infringement, mandatory caution, not retreating at a free kick after being warned, mandatory caution

Put them together and, if it happens next time you ref them, ask the player to give ten yards first time, maybe second time it happens. Then, third time, call captain over and tell him that the next player to stand in front of the free kick will be cautioned, whoever it is.

Maybe even let the coaches know what your approach will be pre-game if you want.

Then start booking them every time they do it. They'll stop doing it pretty quickly

Reactions: SM
warn people very loudly that if they take another step, they will be getting cautioned.

Use your best Brian blessed voice. ;)

Give them two chances (the first one tell him quietly to get out of there, the second one shout it loudly to get away now) and then caution the next one who does it. Remember: the attacking team is owed the ten yards before a free kick, they don't have to ask for it.

I think i should have cracked down on it a bit more than I did. It's the most extreme I've ever seen a team doing it.

Pre match or at the kick:

Gents - 10 yards is 9 meters, lets take a guess shall we.

Same individual does it a 2nd time = card. That's your first and we've still got X minutes to go. best be careful fella.

If the same 2 / 3 / 4 run and do it again card them all. Scares the sh*t out of the manager with 3 on a card for something so trivial, knowing that they could be walking for the slightest thing.

Why wait for the same individual to do it? If it's more than one person on a team, surely it's a tactic they've talked about and deserving of a caution just then.

Speak to the captain, tell him if it happens again, whoever it is, whether they've done it before or not they will be going in the book. They have been warned, they can have no arguments.

Speak to the captain, tell him if it happens again, whoever it is, whether they've done it before or not they will be going in the book. They have been warned, they can have no arguments.

You could have just liked my post, southend ;)

Did i see your boys sitting in 4th place after saturday's results....two places behind burton, I hasten to add

I'm glad that at least one person acknowledged my Hellmann's quip, Dave. I'd have been gutted otherwise :)

Back