A&H

Poland v Senegal

The Referee Store
It is making the rounds on twitter and elsewhere, but I don't see any issue with it myself.

The ball is in the air - but it's only going to drop to a Senegal player. It's not a 50-50. So when t goes to the Senegal player, by allowing a teammate to run onto the field the referee created a situation where there's now an unmarked attacker.

He was waved on as the ball was dropping to Senegal, not when the Senegal player stuffed it and it went to the Polish player.

Now, it ended up that he got the ball in a completely unrelated manner, but you shouldn't wave on an attacker while that team has possession and the oncoming player is not only unmarked, but in an excellent position to create an attack. That's just poor situational awareness.

Had he waited until the ball was going to Poland and waved him on, then nothing wrong there.
If I was assessing, I'd mark him down there - but not as a match changing error, given that had he waited the same outcome would have occurred.

Hi
Nothing wrong here in Law and the referee was not to know that the ball was going to be kicked back as it was.
The only part that does not sit well is that the question arises in the first place. I think it is only fair that players should not expect a player that is off the field of play and not factored into play to suddenly join in to active play. That is a principle that we use in most instances. As play unfolds here it looks "unfairish". Maybe another way to look at it that if the referee had another go at the decision he would not let him on for a few more seconds?

Given the ball was about to go to the uncontested possession of a teammate of the player running on, with no defenders around, I would argue that the most logical thing for that defender to do is send a long, wide ball through to that attacker :)

You're right about the active play bit - you want to try and ensure that a player coming on isn't able to come straight into active play.

You CAN use your understanding of the game to delay a player coming on - you're not required to allow them on as soon as they ask for it.

I posted a pic? He is waved on with the ball apx 30 yards up in the air, apx 35 yards from the Senegal goal, with nobody in control of ball and player enters pitch some 30 yards away from where ball eventually lands, and of course he enters on the touchline, with the ball still in the air central. The ball is so neutral at this point that despite having AR and 4th, the ref is confident and assured enough to take eyes away from ball and wave the player on himself.
Other than wait until the ball is super glued to the corner flag on far top right, its an ideal moment to let a player on.

OK, so the consensus is that this referee didn't make a mistake. My mistake
The incident i referred to in my game last season was quite a bit worse in that I definitely called the player back on when I shouldn't have done. Won't be dropping that clanger again in a rush

I posted a pic? He is waved on with the ball apx 30 yards up in the air, apx 35 yards from the Senegal goal, with nobody in control of ball and player enters pitch some 30 yards away from where ball eventually lands, and of course he enters on the touchline, with the ball still in the air central. The ball is so neutral at this point that despite having AR and 4th, the ref is confident and assured enough to take eyes away from ball and wave the player on himself.
Other than wait until the ball is super glued to the corner flag on far top right, its an ideal moment to let a player on.

I saw the video. Video trumps pic. The player was waved on with the ball heading straight to an unmarked Senegal player. The ball may have been in the air, but it's heading straight to an unmarked Senegal player.
I think you're overstating the fact that the ball is in the air and forgetting that aerial balls have to land :)
The ref didn't display situational awareness - but the AR probably shouldn't have gotten his attention at that key point.

The ball most definitely is not neutral given it's headed straight to an unmarked Senegal player!

When the player comes on, the ball is 30 yards in air and, (had it been on the ground). 40 yards max from Senegal goal. Defensive. I dont know when you are going to let him on

I know the ball is 30 yards in the air. WHERE is the ball going? Get over the fact that it's in the air - that's not important. In the air, on the ground, doesn't change anything. Within a second it's going to be with somebody. Whom?

Yes, it's going to the defence. How many kicks does it take a defender to get the ball to an unmarked attacker?

You wait until the other team has control, until Senegal has already mounted an attack past him, or until the ball is contested. Not when his team is about to obtain the loose ball, uncontested, behind that attacker.

If that defender had controlled the ball he would have been looking for that player and launched the direct attack.

If we are being picky about it, I would say the player is waved back on milliseconds after the Poland defender has headed from apx half way line, back towards the Senegal box. So, at the time of being allowed on, Poland player was in control.

The incident i referred to in my game last season was quite a bit worse in that I definitely called the player back on when I shouldn't have done. Won't be dropping that clanger again in a rush

Personally, I'm not so sure you should have tried to rectify it by stopping the game. Just carry on and eat the mistake really. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that. (Not to say I don't understand where you're coming from though...)

Personally, I'm not so sure you should have tried to rectify it by stopping the game. Just carry on and eat the mistake really. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that. (Not to say I don't understand where you're coming from though...)
Yes, you're probably right. I honestly don't think i'll make the same mistake again. I was just highlighting the importance of awareness when calling players back onto the FOP. I now make sure I'm not dropping myself in it

Back