A&H

Positioning

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I'm approaching 10 games in the middle and by far, the biggest thing I need to develop is my positioning. I think I struggle usually when it is on a smaller pitch and sometimes find myself too close to the ball. What's the best bit of advice to improve my positioning. I'm certainly not a referee who doesn't move much by the way.

Another thing is from kick off, I found myself surrounded by players and didn't know how I could be in a good position to see offences whilst also being away from the play.

The Referee Store
The fittest ref isn't always the best referee, take a breath, drop back a bit and get the best panoramic view... I think 19 yards or something is the scientific measurement optically, read that here if I remember right!

The fittest ref isn't always the best referee, take a breath, drop back a bit and get the best panoramic view... I think 19 yards or something is the scientific measurement optically, read that here if I remember right!
I agree! Ironically, after one of my hardest games (a friendly), one of the managers spoke to me after the game and said he was a ref. He said I did good etc but said he would prefer if I was about 5-10 yards to incidents (like tackles) so I've been going off that but I think you're right... I also struggle with that 'lazy 'S'' but that probably comes with experience I guess.

Great advice for a change from a manager, beats the normal drivel....I've said a few times on here than No referee should be ready for any promotion until they've done at least a season 30-40 OA games minimum... I know that will miff a few people off but you need to learn what works and self reflection is also very good..... Every game is a learning game..... even after my 500+

Great advice for a change from a manager, beats the normal drivel....I've said a few times on here than No referee should be ready for any promotion until they've done at least a season 30-40 OA games minimum... I know that will miff a few people off but you need to learn what works and self reflection is also very good..... Every game is a learning game..... even after my 500+
Thinking about promotion in th season after next maybe. I'm only 18 so have time to get to a decent level of football which is my main aim, other than to just enjoy it

Thinking about promotion in th season after next maybe. I'm only 18 so have time to get to a decent level of football which is my main aim, other than to just enjoy it
Gud lad, you've many, many years to perfect your game craft, confidence and style.... You never know, you could be educating us lot in a few years!!

When the pitch is not 'full size', try to circumnavigate the center circle and drop in behind the play more readily than you would on a county size pitch. As I referee a lot of youth football, I know exactly the problem you're referring to. It's 11v11, but the pitches are quite big enough to accommodate the numbers and it's a battle for the ref to keep out the way

Wide
Call it old skool but it has it's merits
Diagonal one 18 to the other,
wider you are more you see, of course with the flexibility to zoom in central when needed

i still apply it to my games 30? years down the line.....in kids, womens, guys, seniors, the lot.......

When the pitch is not 'full size', try to circumnavigate the center circle and drop in behind the play more readily than you would on a county size pitch. As I referee a lot of youth football, I know exactly the problem you're referring to. It's 11v11, but the pitches are quite big enough to accommodate the numbers and it's a battle for the ref to keep out the way
It’s very frustrating but I think I’ve mastered the skill of letting the ball through my legs... could be handy when playing 😂

Wide
Call it old skool but it has it's merits
Diagonal one 18 to the other,
wider you are more you see, of course with the flexibility to zoom in central when needed

i still apply it to my games 30? years down the line.....in kids, womens, guys, seniors, the lot.......
I am trying to get wider and was impressed with myself when I found myself subconsciously get into wider positions for things like one on ones. How can I practice the lazy S?

It’s very frustrating but I think I’ve mastered the skill of letting the ball through my legs... could be handy when playing 😂
Even the best of us get snipered by a quick shot / pass once in a while, not sure if I've ever claimed an assist but I certainly got struck accidentally more than a few times...They love a chuckle when you cop for one in the nether regions!!!

I am trying to get wider and was impressed with myself when I found myself subconsciously get into wider positions for things like one on ones. How can I practice the lazy S?

Dunno never heard of it

You can play a solo game of centre circle minefield tho, where every time you find yourself in there (during open play unless thats the only place you had to be), give yourself three lives and vow not to go in there

It might help practise the idea of going wide...

Works everytime? No, but nothing does

Gives you practise at being wide to get angles on things? Yes

No reason why a fit referee should not be able to utilise a diagonal

And if your not fit enough to do so? You sure you should be out there?

Even the best of us get snipered by a quick shot / pass once in a while, not sure if I've ever claimed an assist but I certainly got struck accidentally more than a few times...They love a chuckle when you cop for one in the nether regions!!!

I find 5hitter the game, more chance of being hit by ball, as have no idea of where its going next

I normally shout back. "Sorry, too fit, too much up with play"

Usually works

Dunno never heard of it

You can play a solo game of centre circle minefield tho, where every time you find yourself in there (during open play unless thats the only place you had to be), give yourself three lives and vow not to go in there

It might help practise the idea of going wide...

Works everytime? No, but nothing does

Gives you practise at being wide to get angles on things? Yes

No reason why a fit referee should not be able to utilise a diagonal

And if your not fit enough to do so? You sure you should be out there?
I’m definitely fit enough, just finding it hard to improve my positioning as I’ve not been watched by anyone for a while. Hopefully when I get REFSIX the heatmap help me see my positioning

I’m definitely fit enough, just finding it hard to improve my positioning as I’ve not been watched by anyone for a while. Hopefully when I get REFSIX the heatmap help me see my positioning

Well, talking from personal experience, I use (but not stick to) the time served diagonal and it always rings true
So yes I would expect someone half my age to be able to use it to its benefits too

The only correct place to be, is from where you can make the correct call

But given thats a variable, the diagonal will serve you better than it will let you down

Well, talking from personal experience, I use (but not stick to) the time served diagonal and it always rings true
So yes I would expect someone half my age to be able to use it to its benefits too

The only correct place to be, is from where you can make the correct call

But given thats a variable, the diagonal will serve you better than it will let you down
Any advice for positioning straight from kick off and how to get myself out of the highly populated areas?

Any advice for positioning straight from kick off and how to get myself out of the highly populated areas?

I tend to stand, wideish, so have got ALL players and in view, and am ready to sprint wherever if needed but hopefully cruise around until see where play develops

I dont have the diagram/reference to hand but I saw from a game I was involved in where the observer was referring to a UEFA example and his big thing was keeping all the players in view.

I know thats not easy to explain in a forum post

Think left, get left, stay left. The last bit of that is a bit outdated now as it relates to the old rigid diagonal patrol path, but the principles still apply. Try to avoid running through the centre circle, and certainly don't be static in there. That should help you get naturally wide, then you come back more central as play moves towards the penalty area.

That sums it up better than me
The strict diagonal has long since gone, replaced with, wherever you can make the right call from
But in theroy, and from personal experience, the diagonal still triumphs
And as above, sometimes you have no choice but to go thro cental, but, do not linger around there, nothing ever happens of note in there, its wide wide wide then strike like a snake to the middle pen area when required

Its a hard shift but achievable

From the kick off, I always position myself on the left hand side in the half of the team taking the kick (in line with, or just back towards the goal, the rear of the centre circle)

Not a part of the field you would normally frequent on your diagonal, but the thinking behind it is is that the team taking the kick will probably be moving forward, so you also move forward and as you cross the half way line and move into the other half you are now in the right place on your diagonal.

HTH
Jeff

Back