A&H

Pre-Game Nerves

anonref

Level 7 Referee
Hi all, hope you're all doing well.

I've been reffing for about 3 years now and last weekend I had my first game in about a year as I did not referee at uni last year. Before the game and leading up to the game this Saturday I am experiencing more nerves than I can remember having in the past. It's mostly just general worries about what can go wrong in a game like making the wrong decision or missing a crucial moment.

I was just wondering if any of you have nerves before a game or if they go over time as you get more experience.

Thanks all :)

The Referee Store
I often get nerves prior to a game. They are generally a good sign.
They usually subside upon arrival at the game but the drive there and usually across the morning before I can get a bit anxious.

me always, never not nervous before a game

got a friendly tonight, step 5 v 6, been nervous all day

Yup. As others have said, it's the anticipation that's the worst bit. But as soon as you get there and start going through the motions (introductions, getting changed, warm-up), the autopilot will kick in. Once you've blown to kick off, there'll be too much going on in the moment and you won't be able to worry too much about what might happen in future!

I get them. If it's a Saturday afternoon game, it's repeated toilet breaks in the morning, stopping the car just down the road from my house to triple check if I've got all of my kit.

Getting to the venue starts to calm the nerves and then once I get into team sheets and beyond its into the zone.

Nerves and doubts are normal, don't let them rule you!

Bill Russel, one of the greatest basketball players of all time (11 NBA championships), famously threw up before every game from nerves . . .

Is Big Cat the Big Dog then when it comes to optimal arousal advice? Asking for a friend!!
Those days are a flickering memory!

It is true however, that good things come to those with butterflies. Alas, the same can seldom be said for those in the midst of a panic attack...

Last edited:

I've been reffing for about 3 years now and last weekend I had my first game in about a year as I did not referee at uni last year. Before the game and leading up to the game this Saturday I am experiencing more nerves than I can remember having in the past. It's mostly just general worries about what can go wrong in a game like making the wrong decision or missing a crucial moment.

I was just wondering if any of you have nerves before a game or if they go over time as you get more experience.

You are lucky it come to you naturally. It's something I have to work on because I know when get nervous before the game, I do better in the game. :)

I always get a little nervous before anything I do where I've prepared and I'm going to be in front of an audience (presentation, refereeing, sports commentary). If I'm not nervous, it usually means I'm in trouble because I haven't prepared well.

American referee Mark Geiger (the only US referee to work in the middle in two different World Cup knockout rounds) said once he threw up before pretty much every game he did.

I use my nerves to focus myself, visualize that I'm going to have a good game, and work to get the first call right. When I have a good view of the first call and signal confidently with a good whistle, I know I'm in the game.

Advice I can give you to alleviate any nerves:

1) Plan and Prepare - have a decent meal Friday night, no booze, re-read the laws of the game, watch some football clips, read up on teams, then have a good sleep and good pre-match meal. Pack everything in your own time, including cleaning your boots. Have your bag super-organised. Plan your journey the day before, knowing what time you will leave leaving plenty of time for traffic. Ensuring you have prepped and planned as much as you can, will alleviate any doubts (I could/should have done this, I haven't done this... etc)

2) Confidence and Presence - so you've arrived with plenty of time, drop your bag off, get everything out and laid out ready for when you need to get changed / do your pre match tasks. Then leave the changing room and generally have a presence - whether that be popping for a cup of tea in the main area, standing outside chatting to players/management as they walk in. I certainly find having this presence, starting to build rapport, being approachable, aided my game management at grass-roots, and supported my preparation and confidence going into the game.

Ultimately, by ensuring you have essentially done all the preparation you could have done, and you're comfortable in your approach and surroundings, you will find your nerves have naturally lifted without you knowing

Reactions: Kes
It's an interesting topic
I was 'besides myself' on the morning of my wedding day. Very very nervous, nauseous, the lot
It was a truly amazing day
My only Best Man's speech, I reckon I drank near on three bottles of wine before taking to the stage. Felt as sober as a Judge and the speech was great. I was drunk as a monkey as soon as returned to my table and drank coffee for the next hour or two!
Potential reward (and enjoyment) seem to be directly proportional to the preceding doubt and nerves

I've said it before, but it seems to me, that refereeing is about learning to do much the same thing, in progressively intimidating surroundings.
Even though they're more practised and experienced, I see EPL and EFL referees routinely perform to the same level as those referees several tiers below them. The difference being, the EPL/EFL referees have slowly acclimatised and adjusted to doing their thing in front of huge unforgiving audiences. So we have to experiences nerves as we go up the ladder as these emotions are a necessary element of adjustment/adaptation just like pain/discomfort is necessary for fitness adaptation

@anonref ... I'd think about your relationship with nervousness. If you view nerves as a bad thing, something you want to go away, it's likely to persist or get worse. Conversely, if you embrace the emotion as normal, challenging but purposeful, you'll fall the right side of the knife's edge.

As already pointed out, pre-match nerves are normal and the adrenaline that should accompany that will usually do more to aid your on-field performance than hinder it. ;)

By your own admission, you've been away from regular refereeing for a while and so the lack of familiarity with the sight, sound and feel of a match is bound to cause more anxiety than it would if you were regularly doing a game or two every week.

There's no easy way around this to be honest mate (IMO). In answer to the last part of your question, the nerves and anxiety will gradually disappear with each occasion, so long as you immerse yourself in it and regain that familiarity with it. You'll look back and remember that the majority of football matches throw up the same situations and requirements week in week out and anything that falls outside of that, you (hopefully) already have the ability to deal with.

Refereeing is a skill, and like any skill it requires subject matter knowledge, repetition and regular practice at it in order to improve or even retain it. :)

I've said it before, but it seems to me, that refereeing is about learning to do much the same thing, in progressively intimidating surroundings.
Even though they're more practised and experienced, I see EPL and EFL referees routinely perform to the same level as those referees several tiers below them. The difference being, the EPL/EFL referees have slowly acclimatised and adjusted to doing their thing in front of huge unforgiving audiences. So we have to experiences nerves as we go up the ladder as these emotions are a necessary element of adjustment/adaptation just like pain/discomfort is necessary for fitness adaptation

I think this is a really valid point. I think having a set of pre match (at the venue) "rituals" helps you to normalise the nerves. By doing things that you've done many times before you're able to calm your mind to the task in hand and help remove those "what if" demons, because you're referring back to your previous positive experiences.

As you go up the ladder and the games you referee take on more meaning, being able to use those rituals as an anchor to help remind you that it's still fundamentally 22 people kicking a ball around a field, trying to get it into the opponent's goal more times than they get it into yours. Regardless of whether you're doing the Dog and Duck Sunday League in front of one man and his dog, whether it's a game your being observed on for promotion or a big end of season title decider or cup final, it's still essentially the same game.

I'm pretty sure there was a documentary following the referees at a major tournament (was pre 2010) as it had Howard Webb before his WC final and one of his assistants slipped his wedding ring off and gave it a kiss before putting it into his bag before the game. Obviously something he had done hundreds if not thousands of times before but a simple repeatable actions that helped him to get over whatever nerves he had and be able to go out and perform.

Back