A&H

Pre-match

AJ B

Level 9 Referee
How long do people recommend leaving between the time you arrive at the match and kick off?

Thanks

The Referee Store
As a broad generalisation ... at least 20 minutes for a Youth game, 30 minutes for a Junior Open Age (O/A) game, 45 minutes for an Intermediate O/A game and an hour for a Senior O/A game. Biggest three factors to consider for me are 1) am I on my own or in a team of 3 needing time for a pre-match briefing? 2) is there a need for an early pitch inspection? and 3) am I going ready changed or not?

You'll get lots of differing answers on here - my own preference was always at least 60 minutes - irrespective of what type of game it was

Think of the things you NEED to do as well those you WANT to do and how much time these all take (the list would change for each type of game - but some things are common to all games) - e.g.
  • pitch inspection
  • getting changed
  • warm up (you'll need longer the older you get!)
  • etc.
Then add a bit for complications and other stuff that might crop up - e.g.
  • Chatty managers
  • Lack of car parking
  • Distance from pitch to changing room
  • etc.

As a broad generalisation ... at least 20 minutes for a Youth game, 30 minutes for a Junior Open Age (O/A) game, 45 minutes for an Intermediate O/A game and an hour for a Senior O/A game. Biggest three factors to consider for me are 1) am I on my own or in a team of 3 needing time for a pre-match briefing? 2) is there a need for an early pitch inspection? and 3) am I going ready changed or not?

Depends what you mean by youth game Russell.

If you're an AR getting to a Ryman U18 game or an academy fixture 20 minutes before KO won't gain you many friends!;)

Last edited:
The referee for this weekends game that im running the line to wants me there for 12pm for a 3pm kick off. Now quite what were gonna do for 2 hours before i start getting ready im not sure :confused:

But gotta respect his wishes

For me, an hour is easily enough time to do everything you need to do

The referee for this weekends game that im running the line to wants me there for 12pm for a 3pm kick off. Now quite what were gonna do for 2 hours before i start getting ready im not sure :confused:

Wow - that's FL/PL timings! Must have an extensive warm up planned I reckon!:)

Always an hour for me.

Who've you got this weekend @Ross ? I'm guessing SWPL or Senior Cup?

If I turned up 60 mins before a Sunday league match I would be twiddling my thumbs for 50 minutes before leaving the changing room!

30 mins for my Saturday league (I'm already changed)
20 mins for my Sunday league (I'm already changed)
50 mins for any match with Neutral ARs (I will arrive in tie)

Last edited:
Arse!! Im a special case, should have read 1pm for a 3pm kickoff, damn my fat fingers!!
Always an hour for me.

Who've you got this weekend @Ross ? I'm guessing SWPL or Senior Cup?

On the SWPL, first outing on it for me

Reactions: DB

I would politely be telling the referee I will see him at 2pm

AJB at least an hour, gives you time to inspect the pitch, meet the managers/coaches
get your kit sorted out ,find your whistles, watches cards then get your referee head on during your warm
anything less just isnt enough time

I would politely be telling the referee I will see him at 2pm
and the referee may be politely reporting you referees game their timings

Last edited by a moderator:

League rules up to supply only state an hour before KO.

2 Hours is unreasonable, for supply if you get there at 1:30 you will be waiting on your own most the time.

Depends what you mean by youth game Russell.

If you're an AR getting to a Ryman U18 game or an academy fixture 20 minutes before KO won't gain you many friends!;)
Fair point, well made :)

Though in my defence, I did say at least that amount of time and also that I'd adjust if I was working in a team of three :)

Wonder what he will do with the 2 hours. The most comprehensive pre match chat ever or an hours worth of high intensity interval training warm up! :)

I always go for an hour before, I'd rather get there and hang around a bit than get there and have to rush about. I also find it gives me time to have a bit of a chill and get focused.

However, the majority of my games are within 20 mins of where I live, but when I have games further afield I allow plenty of travel time and have ended up getting there more than an hour early.

I......don't know what that means.......:confused:

Edit: worked it out. Full stops are important.
What will the ref be reporting me for? Adhering to league rules?
Good luck to him

Last edited:
Minimum and hour....

or 1 min when you get the call on a Sunday morning 15 before KO asking where you are, and transpires they've told everyone EXCEPT the ref when they've brought it forward by two hours. 8 miles, 14 minutes though London traffic on a Sunday morning.....!

In my league, an hour is expected, so I'll aim for just over to allow for traffic. Even then, I've sometimes only turned up 5-10min before kickoff when things have gone wrong....
I do like to warmup, so anything less than a warmup and I'm compromising on my warmup and mental preparation.
Sometimes I like to watch part of the game before, helps me get in the right mindset.

Back