A&H

Pre-Season Fitness Plans

The Referee Store
I have a couple for your consideration. One is from the US officials organization that administers collegiate soccer (I shared this in an earlier post in this forum). In addition to this link, if you go to YouTube and search "NISOAFIT", there are also some circuit-based exercise sessions available.

Several years ago, I also obtained a document that has 100 different exercises for soccer referee fitness (I originally posted this as a reply in a different forum post). Plenty of options in this file that you can use to structure your own unique plan.

4x 10m Sprint
4x 20m Sprint
4x 30m Sprint
4x 40m Sprint
1x 2000m Jog
Repeat 4 times.
9.6km in Total. Should be more then enough to get you through any middle.

There's actually a rather decent training booklet on the resources page here, which has some very good exercise ideas you can use if you can find a field to use.

One thing I'm finding surprising (or maybe I've been too lazy) is that exercise expectations are a LOT higher when you hit a certain level of refereeing. From what I've seen of some workout plans (I can't share, I don't have permission to) is that you're expected to do runs and then follow it up with circuit training and core training. The ones I've seen recently have you exercising five days a week, which is a step up as I'm used to training 3-4 times a week and only at running... so, yeah, it's a hell of a step up.

There's actually a rather decent training booklet on the resources page here, which has some very good exercise ideas you can use if you can find a field to use.

One thing I'm finding surprising (or maybe I've been too lazy) is that exercise expectations are a LOT higher when you hit a certain level of refereeing. From what I've seen of some workout plans (I can't share, I don't have permission to) is that you're expected to do runs and then follow it up with circuit training and core training. The ones I've seen recently have you exercising five days a week, which is a step up as I'm used to training 3-4 times a week and only at running... so, yeah, it's a hell of a step up.

All for a very good reason though, higher you go, the higher fitness standards of the players. Especially Stamina. The last thing you want at any level is blowing at 75 min and miss a KMI.

4x 10m Sprint
4x 20m Sprint
4x 30m Sprint
4x 40m Sprint
1x 2000m Jog
Repeat 4 times.
9.6km in Total. Should be more then enough to get you through any middle.

i'll try that tomorrow night, sounds good.

i've been going down the local pitches, running down the wings (22 secs or so) and sprinting between the penalty areas (11 secs) x 20 reps with some 50m sprints at the end of the session.

a good 7k with a warm up and down run as well

**Obviously, please do not say anything you aren't supposed to say - I'm just trying to understand more . . .

So is what you are saying that if you're working higher levels, you're supposed to run, then do circuit training, then do core training all as a part of one workout? That seems like an awful lot.

The RefCoach podcast (https://www.refcoach.org/podcast) had the assistant director of PRO's sports science department on Episode 4. John Westbrooks walked through a high-level example of what the top referees in the US do from a training perspective. It didn't seem like the PRO workout plans had officials doing strength and running on the same day.
EDIT-Direct link to podcast. https://overcast.fm/+bzPtRluTc

Last edited:
Did this one at a training event last year.

Using the penalty area, sprint the long edges and walk the short edges. Repeating this over. Can't remember how many laps we did though!

All for a very good reason though, higher you go, the higher fitness standards of the players. Especially Stamina. The last thing you want at any level is blowing at 75 min and miss a KMI.

Oh yes, definitely, I do agree with you.

So is what you are saying that if you're working higher levels, you're supposed to run, then do circuit training, then do core training all as a part of one workout? That seems like an awful lot.

Yes, that's a pre-season training plan I've seen. It's definitely a lot, especially for me as I've never really done all three workouts in one session (or one day).

I'm off to Spain on the first week of the scheduled start of the season so my fitness will involve San Miguel and restaurant food for a week :D

Prior to that my fitness has involved lots of walking the dog but not a lot else (although I'm walking 10km a day at least). Gyms opening next weekend but its hard to have the motivation at the moment when the fixtures are up in the air. I'm pretty fit anyway but normally I'd be doing alot more at this time of year.

In other news, looks like the FA have sent the proposals for a return to games to the Department for Sport. Proposals include a return to friendlies from early August. Id imagine that it will pass through as other sports have done so. Looks like we will be back on the field in weeks not months. Speaking of which, cricket for me this weekend for the first time this year. Not really classed as fitness when ill be stood at slip half the day but I suppose its something

I'm off to Spain on the first week of the scheduled start of the season so my fitness will involve San Miguel and restaurant food for a week :D

Prior to that my fitness has involved lots of walking the dog but not a lot else (although I'm walking 10km a day at least). Gyms opening next weekend but its hard to have the motivation at the moment when the fixtures are up in the air. I'm pretty fit anyway but normally I'd be doing alot more at this time of year.

In other news, looks like the FA have sent the proposals for a return to games to the Department for Sport. Proposals include a return to friendlies from early August. Id imagine that it will pass through as other sports have done so. Looks like we will be back on the field in weeks not months. Speaking of which, cricket for me this weekend for the first time this year. Not really classed as fitness when ill be stood at slip half the day but I suppose its something
Yup, also spectator pilot projects, starting with Surrey v Middlesex (cricket) 26-27 July with a view to blanket stadium attendance from Oct 1st

yes please! [please don’t put personal email addresses into posts - use the DM feature]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back