A&H

Pre-Season Games

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone!

Do friendlies and pre-season games count towards the 20 games required for promotion?

i was going for promotion in 20/21 but broke my arm and couldn’t meet the criteria unfortunately so fresh start this coming season.

Thanks very much.

The Referee Store
Hi everyone!

Do friendlies and pre-season games count towards the 20 games required for promotion?

i was going for promotion in 20/21 but broke my arm and couldn’t meet the criteria unfortunately so fresh start this coming season.

Thanks very much.
Your County FA will need to answer this, as systems vary from county to county in respect of appointing to friendlies/pre-season matches and accepable levels of football.

Chas is technically correct, however for L7 to L6, and given the interrupted season we've seen, I'd be very surprised if at least some of your matches couldn't come from "pre-season" matches. Assuming they're accredited football matches, 11 v 11 and of the appropriate age range, can't see there being any issues.

Pre-season (Friendlies) don't count in Herts. The FA reduced the number of required games to compensate for Covid
I've been out injured for 4 months and still managed 6 games more than I needed to do

Friendlies won't count in any county, at least I'd be amazed if they do.
I'd be surprised too, but a number of CFA's do not specify appointed/competition games.
There are some pre-season competitions which CFA's appoint to, which may be a grey area in this respect.
Assuming grass roots football restarts on time, all promotion candidates should have plenty of time to get their games in.

In a 'normal' season getting 20 games is no problem even if you only referee one day a week. Make sure your league(s) refsec knows you're on promotion. He can appoint you to games on 3G if there's a wet winter for example.

I ref in a Saturday men's league but I have an arrangement with a Sunday women's league where I don't get appointed but I pick up games they don't have anyone available for if I have not been able to ref on the Saturday. I used this to make sure I got 20 games last season (before they announced the criteria as dropping to 15).

@Jacktscallaghan - As others have said, pre-season games don't count, as they don't report your marks or the game to your CFA.

But some pre-season cups competitions can be eligible. You would need to check with your own CFA to be certain.

Back