A&H

Pre-season!

Matt

Level 5 Referee
Started with my first game in the middle- AFC Darwen v Accrington Stanley U18. This was followed by my game today: Blackburn Rovers U21 v Wigan U21 on the line, with Grant Holt playing 90 minutes! Excellent experience.

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
I did Blackburn u18 v Wigan u18 yesterday. My first game of the pre season. Was a bit worried about the heat but it went ok, seeing as I'd done nowt but sit drink and watch the World Cup since last season.

Had my first preseason game yesterday. Couple of lower division local teams.

My positioning was not good, my angles were wrong, reading the game was tricky because the players had 50p's for feet but still not happy with myself and my mental sharpness was blunt.

However, on the plus side, my one liners were on form!

Not to worry 3 more preseason games to come before the league starts at the end of August.

I was doing ok in pre-season, had to come off a game last week due to a family matter, and my fitness seems to have gone. Very hard work (ie struggled) on the interval session last night, back in the gym Monday and hard at it. #callmelukeshaw

Just arranged my first middle for the new (pre) season. Gone out and purchased some new tiempos to match my 13/14 Nike kit! #firstimpressions

Managed to do all of my pre season games in trainers because of the hard ground. First league game tomorrow and I'm going to have to wear moulded studs for grip on the grass. They're not going to get into the ground though so sore feet on Sunday!

5k on the bike tonight and some weights. A bit tough tonight but have to start somewhere.

I will excuse myself for Thursday as it seems I was genuinely unwell, however the hard work won't hurt. Barring any last-minute FA Cup call ups (slim) or replay appointments (even slimmer - most local sides are have been drawn at home) it all starts with a Football League Youth game on 19 August. Two weeks to get fully fit!

I have seriously stepped up my fitness training as well tealeaf. First session was a real struggle but felt a lot stronger today on my second run out. Starting small and working towards a 5k as an initial goal. There is a local 'parkrun' which is a weekly organised 5k run. Might be worth looking into as I am not sure if the company operate nationally

Parkrun does seem to be national although sporadic. Unfortunately for me they're all Saturday mornings which don't work well with kiddie-care. :(

Started running with a group in January, and the first Sunday in June completed my first ever 5K (managed to run the whole thing without stopping which was a real achievement) so it's feasible. Still going with that; that's my Thursday session but want to build to up to three a week. Be a bit more like the real thing then - weekend games and midweek training.

I do not recommend running when you have a migraine - that was me Thursday. Nearly passed out at work that morning, but I thought that was vertigo at first as I was on a high and steep set of stairs, but turns out it was not. Knew about it Friday.

Well praise where is due for the 5k pal. I was struggling after 1k today but bit of recovery time and I pushed on to get 3k under my belt in total. Onwards and upwards I guess

Thank you sir. The training plan I worked to was simple.

Started off running from one lamp-post to a second. Walk second to third, run third to fourth, walk fourth to fifth etc.
Week 2 - run 2 walk 1
Week 3 - run 4 walk 2
Week 4 run 5 walk 2
Week 5 run 10 minutes, walk for 2 recovery
Week 6 run 12 minutes, walk for 2 recovery
Week 7 run 15 minutes, walk 2 recovery
Week 8 run 20 minutes, walk 2 recovery
Week 9 run 20 minutes, walk 1 recovery
Week 10 run 25 minutes, walk 1 recovery
Week 11 run 30 minutes, walk 2 recovery
Week 12 run 30 minutes, walk 1 recovery

I ran the 5K on week 14, finishing in just over 35 minutes.

Back