A&H

Prem refs in Championship

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Well after last weeks debacle of Geoff Eltringham I was impressed to see Anthony Taylor turn up today on his day off...

After only 8 minutes he absolutely spoiled a decent game of football with the most innocuous YC for a completely fair honest challenge, the type you see 100s of in the championship.

From that point he'd set a very low bar of what was a FK and yellow card, multiple yellows and two reds later he'd bamboozled his way starry eyed around a game that he'd lost an hour earlier with his ineptitude. Not sure the last time he was in our division, but 28,000 fans from both teams wish he'd stayed where he was!!! He's a decent ref, he was blooming awful today!!

The Referee Store
I'd believe you, but if a player stabbed an opponent you'd call it an innocuous YC.

But I found the highlights. The first 2CT was for a handball in the wall stopping a shot on goal. No ways around that one once the FK is called.

And the 2nd red was one of those shocking 1970 leg breaking tackles that you were talking about how you missed in modern football in a recent thread.

But sure, we'll just go with the ref being inept.

The HB was correct, i spent hours last night fighting a losing cause in defending that, it was the tackle in the 8th min that caused him his issues, nothing in it whatsoever. That set a tone of 4-5 YC’s that we’re just not cards in this league, it was like he was just hell bent on carding everything? He won’t see tackles like these in the Prem!!!!

As for the 1970s tackle, yes, most refs would dismiss for that one! I’d give him 4/10 at best, it’s a shame because he’s decent usually!

The HB was correct, i spent hours last night fighting a losing cause in defending that, it was the tackle in the 8th min that caused him his issues, nothing in it whatsoever. That set a tone of 4-5 YC’s that we’re just not cards in this league, it was like he was just hell bent on carding everything? He won’t see tackles like these in the Prem!!!!

As for the 1970s tackle, yes, most refs would dismiss for that one! I’d give him 4/10 at best, it’s a shame because he’s decent usually!

Do we have a different set of laws for the Championship ?

Do we have a different set of laws for the Championship ?
You well know that allowances are made for all sorts of things at all levels, players do get more time in the Prem to show their skills, how many fancy dans come down from the upper divisions and struggle to handle the physicality. Look at the things let go in the Old Firm game that would have been pulled up in the EPL. Different standards do require referees to use common sense. Sadly that’s not in the LOTG...

We had Peter Bankes yesterday, who has yet to grace to Premier League I think, and he is just as bad I think.

5 cautions to Brentford, none to Birmingham.
13 fouls for Birmingham, 12 for Brentford. That means nearly 1 in 2 fouls Brentford made resulted in a card7. Surely even Birmingham had a player who persistently fouled, or even tactically fouled (I understand one of the Brentford players was fouled a fair few times, in an attempt to wind him up). That targeted player even had a nice few scratches on his back from, I would hazard a guess, some boots... The player that done that did not get carded....

For a referee that has given over 100 yellow cards in just 22 matches, so nearly an average of 5 per game (he gave 12 in the previous Brentford match, 5 to Brentford and 7 for Nottingham Forest. Yet was not a feisty match at all. He completely lost control of that game.
Incidentally, he has cautioned the same player in 3 of the 4 matches for Brentford..... a vendetta? Of course I (we) know referees go in to each game thinking that any previous is forgotten..... of course we do..... right? (but then the conversations we have in the changing room are of course ******** because we say this person has history, that person was sent off in the previous game he played in etc etc)....

Found an image of that players back where no punishment was given except he got the yellow card himself!

49149546_10156292009852984_5267495565674938368_n.jpg

Last edited:
I sit there most weeks defending and explaining refereeing decisions that I see to supporters around me. I can usually see a card coming out 10 seconds before most around me have realised it. Most of the time we get some decent Championship referees, I'm not wanting all the decisions as a supporter, I accept, like most on here, that we can watch a game in self refereeing mode. AT is usually a top drawer referee and I'm surprised he even turned up, I was dumbstruck / bamboozled with 3-4 of his calls (both ways). This is not the Prem, players are a bit clumsier, their timing isn't 100%, its a bit feisty at times, some cards were justified, I just think he made a massive rod for his own back in the early card, after that he had no-where to go but hand the yellow confetti out!!

Last edited:
I think Taylor is very good
By comparison, the Championship is far more honest than the PL
This alone makes it a completely different cup of tea from a refereeing perspective. I doubt Taylor enjoyed the day trip as he's programmed for something Very different

He's (Taylor) is lined up for a Q&A at an RA meeting (Middlesex) in Jan
I'll let his tires down to atone for his day trip antics!

Back