A&H

Previously Verbal Violent Conduct but should be OFFINABUS

deusex

RefChat Addict

Now I've no problem, with this red card.
What kind of threat of violence to another player would you deem OFFINABUS?
If a player said to another "next time you have the ball I've gonna break your legs" that would seem a pretty easy RC for me.
However, threatening to "rip someone's head off" or "I'm gonna kill you" are obviously such ridiculous threats what action would you be taking?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
However, threatening to "rip someone's head off" or "I'm gonna kill you" are obviously such ridiculous threats what action would you be taking?

I'd probably only say it once and then, if they t'eed me off again, either rip their head off or shoot them

There is no such thing as "verbal violent conduct", the offence here is OFFINABUS and so I believe that you have to judge it in the same way as you would judge all OFFINABUS. I think the specific words used in this sort of instance are not that important as it is clear from the context that what is being threatened is extreme physical violence - whether the act threatened is physically likely or even possible is not hugely relevant, it is clearly abusive language.

My bad, you are correct. Ignore the VC references.
OP edited. Can't change title.
What would people consider OFFINABUS then?

Either way we're sending him off....unless, of course, it's a premier league game, in which case, selective deafness is the way forward

I guess it's a tricky one. I remember watching a local professional, top-tier match and a player screamed at the AR 'I'll f****** have you!!!'

'I'll have you' is normally a threat, but this was met with no action whatsoever.

A few years back I refereed at a higher level than normal and a player threatened to break another player's legs. My first thought was red, but just the manner it was said and the lack of response from other player led me to think it's perhaps somewhat normal language at this level....I still booked him, but if I hadn't even done that I don't think anybody would mind (don't forget we probably have different standards on language down under). I have sent off players for similar language before, particularly in O35 matches where they're immature enough to carry out the threat!

Violent - use of physical force for causing harm or damage. On this basis you cannot be verbally violent. You can be threatening or verbally aggressive but you cannot be verbally violent. I would suggest therefore that you cannot send off for VC. Arguably, "The next time x happens I'm going to do y to you" is neither offensive, insulting or abusive. So no red card there. Additionally such a threat is conditional which rather waters down the threat. I would go with s b*ll*ck!ng and a yellow for adopting an aggressive stance

Back