A&H

procedure for remembrance sunday

pankaye

Level 5 Referee
What is the guidance on the procedure for the minutes silence this sunday. does it come before handshake, coin toss etc. Any help will be appreciated. I haven't received any guidance from my CFA.

The Referee Store
What is the guidance on the procedure for the minutes silence this sunday. does it come before handshake, coin toss etc. Any help will be appreciated. I haven't received any guidance from my CFA.

Before the handshake and toss. ;)
Obviously you'll need to inform both sets of players and coaches that the FA has stipulated that there be a paying of respects before each match on Sunday - let them know as soon as you get there and remind them again as you do their kit check or CAR brief that that's what you'll be doing prior to kick-off.

Get them all in the middle, around the centre circle or in a straight line in whatever configuration they wish. If you stand in a straight line, make sure you all face the same way and preferably facing the spectators.
You stand in the middle of the line (with your assistants if applicable) and give a medium-length blast of the whistle to indicate silence. Many FA's recommend 1 minute's silence but Remembrance Sunday is meant to be 2 minutes.
Once the agreed time has elapsed, give another medium-length whistle blast to signify the end of the procedure and then line them up for the handshake. Job's a goodun mate.:)

Last edited:
Just had the following from my County via Twitter:

This Sunday, 8th November, is Remembrance Sunday and we would respectfully ask all the clubs participating in Middlesex FA competitions this weekend to mark the occasion accordingly.
To this end, we request that clubs hold a silence before kick-off at all Cup matches. For matches scheduled for an 11.00am kick-off, this should constitute the traditional two minutes of silence at that time.

For matches on Saturday 7th November, or kicking off at other times on Sunday 8th November, a minute's silence immediately before kick-off is sufficient, although any clubs who wish to stop their matches at 11.00am to observe the Two Minutes' Silence are welcome to do so and should agree this with the referee prior to kick-off.

Read more at http://www.middlesexfa.com/news/2015/nov/remembrance-sunday#tefiM0l5yMfVwXLX.99

Based on this, and how I did it last year, I'll be doing the coin toss with the captains then asking them to call onto centre circle their teams. Minutes silence will be done then into the kick off.

Obviously I'll let both managers know pre game that we'll be doing this and on Sunday (10:30 KO) I will speak to both teams before to see if they want a stoppage at 11am (although I'll admit that this may be tough to do, depending on how the opening 29 minutes or so of the game go)

Back