A&H

Promotion assessments 7-6

Chrisp72

Always smiling
Good evening all ,
Having had my first assessment at the weekend overall mark was standard expected, a few things to work on but on the whole pleased with how it went but my question is what marks would I need to be looking at to gain promotion ? I’ve been told there will be a minimum 3 games of observation .

The Referee Store
Good evening all ,
Having had my first assessment at the weekend overall mark was standard expected, a few things to work on but on the whole pleased with how it went but my question is what marks would I need to be looking at to gain promotion ? I’ve been told there will be a minimum 3 games of observation .
If you get standard expected in all 3 assessments and complete the other requirements (attend a training session, pass a LOTG test, complete 20+ matches...), you should be a shoe-in for promotion.

Another point I was thinking over was that the game itself was classed as normal by my assessor which there was no argument thrre was only 20 fouls 1 caution on 20 mins that had an effect which was picked up on as a good point , both teams were there to play football and it was generally a good game ,so here’s my question , the assessor said I was a bit quiet and that he would have liked me to be more vocal and adds to the report that in a more challenging game I may find it difficult if I don’t make myself know more but it was not a challenging game I found no need really to be making myself a vocal point for no reason I always thought it was good for a referee to get through a game without real knowing he’s there if there’s no need to .
Thoughts please

Thats an interesting observation. I understand in difficult matches with a lot of incidents you have to be vocal and assertive. With a quieter match I would of said let the whistle do the talking - although a more experienced referee may argue differently.

I am also interested to see what others think about this. I am going for promotion from 7 to 6 this year also. Good luck for the year ahead Chris!!!

Wouldn’t actually say 20 fouls was that low, could you have prevented any by letting players know you’re watching? At that level I expect there were a number of them were for little pushes.
You don’t want to be invisible to players during play, make your presence known that can often simply be via good positioning.
It’s referees stopping play and having long chats that gets teams frustrated.

Thats an interesting observation. I understand in difficult matches with a lot of incidents you have to be vocal and assertive. With a quieter match I would of said let the whistle do the talking - although a more experienced referee may argue differently.

I am also interested to see what others think about this. I am going for promotion from 7 to 6 this year also. Good luck for the year ahead Chris!!!
Thanks Luke same to you mate

Wouldn’t actually say 20 fouls was that low, could you have prevented any by letting players know you’re watching? At that level I expect there were a number of them were for little pushes.
You don’t want to be invisible to players during play, make your presence known that can often simply be via good positioning.
It’s referees stopping play and having long chats that gets teams frustrated.
Of 20 most little pushes 4 / 5 penalty area from attacking team from corners like I say no real hard challenges both teams were happy at the end like I say no real issues .
Your correct though maybe should have been a bit more vocal on corner situations so another thing learnt which is what level 7-6 is all about

Strange.

You're right though, I'm the same. If two teams turn up for a football game and just get on with things, I don't see the need to be vocal either. But, perhaps the advice is working as intended, as you're thinking about communication in the future? Maybe that's what he's gently nudging you towards?

Strange.

You're right though, I'm the same. If two teams turn up for a football game and just get on with things, I don't see the need to be vocal either. But, perhaps the advice is working as intended, as you're thinking about communication in the future? Maybe that's what he's gently nudging you towards?
Couldn’t agree more thinking back , he gave me some simple but effective advice that will only improve my game , if I’m not successfull this time around it will surely give me more of a chance next time , times running out though I’m not a young pup

If there's no need to assert authority on the game, you can certainly try and be a little more low key with vocal censure and adopt a quieter whistle; but if an Observer has picked you up on this and suggested being more vocal, maybe you could consider adding your voice for positive rather than negative reasons?

Things like "good header", "great tackle", "well battled", "nice save" etc., this shows the players (and spectators / observers) that you have empathy and understanding of the game, that you are up with play , and that you are switched on and engaged with the match.

times running out though I’m not a young pup
I also started my quest for promotion in my 40's. Rest assured, with hard work and (selectively!) listening to Observers it can be done! Definitely worth demonstrating fitness as a strength (to avoid any 'past it' accusations) and using your life experience to better manage players, coaches and club officials.

I'm in my second year at this level and still harbour aspirations to go a little higher .... whilst acknowledging just how challenging that will be to achieve. Keep the faith :)

With regard to how 'vocal' you need to be ... what Matty said above!

Hi, not sure if it is different per county FA or not but I only had 2 assessments for my 7-6 and got it, so you may only get one more. All the best with it.

What they are probably wanting is for you to be more vocal with "hands down" etc when goal kicks are taken, loud when you play advantage so it is clear to all, especially those that cannot see your arms that you have acknowledged the foul and are playing on. Little niggles, comments like, "watch the legs, no pulling" etc to let those know you've acknowledged the infringement and will blow if not stopped.

Sometimes these tell the observers just as much as when you have to blow the whistle. Well, it was what I was told early on any way.

I had my first observation today on the hunt for promotion to level 6. Match went well despite the home team not being able to provide a CAR. He said I was exactly what he expects from a first observation.

Positives were I showed very good signalling and communication with players. Game control was good with one player cautioned after a scruffle in the first half sorting the issue quickly and with authority. Knowledge of laws was also good with one other caution for a reckless tackle. Only let down on laws was forgot to signal for IDFK on one occasion for a high foot which didnt make contact.

Things for improvement included positioning, specifically at corners. I followed some advice from others around corners but was told never to use that again. Luckily my assessor will be at my next RA meeting and will be doing a talk on positioning for lower level refs! Will look forward to that. The biggest point for improvement was fitness. I knew that fitness work was needed and aim to sort that. Have recently come back from an injury and still having some intense physio to help recovery. That along with general fitness work will hopefully make me better prepared for next season.

Overall I am happy with the advice given and will definitely take it on board. Feeling very positive about how I am now and where I am heading. Lots of work needed but at least I know how to improve.

Back