A&H

Promotion Letters Are Out

The Referee Store
So I take it the system to mark us has changed this year? A dumbing down so to speak??
Yes, a much better system. What we have been using for the past 2/3 season is :poop:, writing to justify a mark rather than being able to good advice and useful development points. Once we stopped a development point, you were"hammered" in the 3 mandatory sections - max of 7.0 as against 7.5 for no development points (including minor points), and with the factoring it cost you a whole mark- which L4's will tell you is a hugh difference in the final totals.

@garytheref - first opportunity, find a copy of the new observers manual and read (not the one here currently). If I can located a copy I will upload to the Resources section.

@garytheref - have a look on Hive as there is some very useful info for training purposes and the expectations on referees.

I would say it’s the opposite to dumbing down - whereby high marks are harder to come by with skills further developed. The marking system will also be more relevant to FA’s aim from some years ago (to current) whereby most games will fall into 70-73 & those games which are more challenging/more skills tested etc will fall above this criteria. However, everything is relative & despite the natural early concern of 2b Referees last season during the pilot, was quickly put to one side whereby the average mark for all these Referees would have been lower than the previous season (if at the same Level).

Just seen these lists - been a little busy
Promoted to 2b

Bancroft, James (Durham FA)
Blake, Alex (Hampshire FA)
Cooper, Paul (Durham FA)
Crusham, Michael (Lancashire FA)
Danaher, Tom (Hertfordshire FA)
Gavillucci, Claudio (Cheshire FA)
Mackey, Oliver (Leicestershire and Rutland FA)
Marshall, Liam (Lancashire FA)
Maskrey, Jonathan (Staffordshire FA)
Mulligan, John (Cumberland FA)
Myers, Gareth (West Riding FA)
Rogers, Darren (Cheshire FA)
Rollason, Greg (Staffordshire FA)
Scholes, Matthew (Shropshire FA)
Wyatt, Ben (Manchester FA)

List for 2b to 2a coming shortly.
Nice to see Mr Myers continue his rise through the ranks. Good referee and got a good attitude to his refereeing.
Promoted to 2a

Bishop, Tom (London FA)
Gill, Sunny (Berks and Bucks FA)
Herczeg, Adam (Durham FA)
Lamport, Daniel (Wiltshire FA)
Massey-Ellis, Robert (Army FA)
Miles, Jacob (Sussex FA)
Simpson, Scott (Staffordshire FA)
Tallis, Scott (Birmingham FA)
Whitton, Rob (Essex FA)
Danny Lamport of Reading University. Really nice bloke and if I remember correctly once ran close to 3.8K in the Cooper Test when he was still a L4 in my locale.

On other points raised in this thread. The new pool involving NCEL and WYAFL has been agreed with The FA. It is yet to be named but will have 3 Supply Divisions. The WYAFL will continue to operate 4 non-Supply Divisions including 2 Reserve Divisions.

@David Goulbourn's point about development is the very reason the new report is being rolled down to cover Level 3 and 4 referees. Need to get referees actually reading the damn reports, not just looking at the mark. Not sure how coverage will look next season. It is expected that ARs will remain on their own patch but referees will travel as necessary to receive the challenge their skills dictate. It is expected that referee fees on the respective leagues will remain the same for next season at least however there may be changes for Observer payments. All will be decided by the new management committee which is still in an embryonic state.

Promoted to 2b

Bancroft, James (Durham FA)
Blake, Alex (Hampshire FA)
Cooper, Paul (Durham FA)
Crusham, Michael (Lancashire FA)
Danaher, Tom (Hertfordshire FA)
Gavillucci, Claudio (Cheshire FA)
Mackey, Oliver (Leicestershire and Rutland FA)
Marshall, Liam (Lancashire FA)
Maskrey, Jonathan (Staffordshire FA)
Mulligan, John (Cumberland FA)
Myers, Gareth (West Riding FA)
Rogers, Darren (Cheshire FA)
Rollason, Greg (Staffordshire FA)
Scholes, Matthew (Shropshire FA)
Wyatt, Ben (Manchester FA)

List for 2b to 2a coming shortly.
Claudio Gavillucci is an interesting name on that list. Very experienced referee from Italy with Serie A matches in his portfolio. An interesting history, too. I suspect 2b is still well below his capabilities.

Claudio Gavillucci is an interesting name on that list. Very experienced referee from Italy with Serie A matches in his portfolio. An interesting history, too. I suspect 2b is still well below his capabilities.
Interesting, just read about him. From refereeing Juventus to refereeing a contrib side. Crazy. But massive admiration to Claudio. Interesting to see why he was assigned as level 3 despite Series A experience?!

Interesting, just read about him. From refereeing Juventus to refereeing a contrib side. Crazy. But massive admiration to Claudio. Interesting to see why he was assigned as level 3 despite Series A experience?!
Not sure he's been treated too fairly when you consider the cases of Jarred Gillett and Bobby Madley. I guess he wasn't on the UEFA or FIFA lists and the narrative wasn't right (although you could argue it is very much the narrative right now)

Not sure he's been treated too fairly when you consider the cases of Jarred Gillett and Bobby Madley. I guess he wasn't on the UEFA or FIFA lists and the narrative wasn't right (although you could argue it is very much the narrative right now)
Bobby Madley is ex-FIFA and has previously worked on the EPL. I don't think it compares to a referee who has not worked in the English system before. I do hope that Claudio makes great strides. As for Jarred, I found it strange that he should step straight in at the level at which he entered. I saw him at a game last season. He did a decent job in a tough Championship fixture. I don't think it will be long before he moves into SG1.

Edited after reading the other thread about Claudio. Interesting. The whole story is not told by one article but a referee who sticks to his principles and uses the law/competition rules to protect players seems ok in my book.

Back