A&H

Promotion level 5-4 dilemma

SWC 220

Having taken up refereeing at 52, which is considerably later than most and now 55, I have this season been promoted from level 7 to 5 and managed to achieve above standard on my observations. I like to think I am pretty fit for my age and in my observations this has been remarked upon by all the observers whereby they say my movement around the pitch was better than a lot of younger referees over the 90 minutes.
Whilst I appreciate I do not have as many years ahead as a lot of my younger colleagues the dilemma I have is whether to continue on the promotion path or stick to level 5. I appreciate age is only a number but was wondering if this would go against me when making the step change between 5-4. Due the current Covid issues I am unable to discuss this with my RDO as they are currently furloughed so any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

The Referee Store
Go for it, if you meet the promotion requirements you'll get out forward by your county. Essentially, if you're good enough, you'll get 4.

There's a good few older level 3s in west riding, plenty at 4.

Having taken up refereeing at 52, which is considerably later than most and now 55, I have this season been promoted from level 7 to 5 and managed to achieve above standard on my observations. I like to think I am pretty fit for my age and in my observations this has been remarked upon by all the observers whereby they say my movement around the pitch was better than a lot of younger referees over the 90 minutes.
Whilst I appreciate I do not have as many years ahead as a lot of my younger colleagues the dilemma I have is whether to continue on the promotion path or stick to level 5. I appreciate age is only a number but was wondering if this would go against me when making the step change between 5-4. Due the current Covid issues I am unable to discuss this with my RDO as they are currently furloughed so any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Went out with a referee who was 60 off level 4 last season. I believe I heard on here a 60 year old had been promoted to level 3.
Age is but a number and if you are good enough and want to commit to it the. You should go for it.
Age is not a reason not to. If there are other reason consider those, but age is definitely not an issue.

As others have said, don't let age be a factor in your consideration. There are numerous examples of referees starting later in life and progressing far.

For me, the pertinent question (as it should be for all those considering 5 to 4) is do you actually want to be a Level 4 referee? In many parts of the country, the life of a Level 4 consists of few middles and many lines, with strong competition among those wishing to progress further. So, if you're excited by the prospect of running lines on the Contributory Leagues (in the South of the country this is Isthmian & Southern) then absolutely go for it. If, however, you far prefer being in the middle, then staying at Level 5 where you can often cherry pick from the available games, is a tempting option. Bear in mind though, that this Level 5 option will always remain, as and when your time at higher levels come to a conclusion. If you're undecided, then my advice is go for it ... as a minimum you'll get some (largely) helpful input from Observers, some of whom may be more experienced than those you've had going 7 to 5.

Good luck!

SWC220 do you have to apply to go from 7-5 or was this purely based on your observations. Have been reffing for a number of years at youth level but also been a coach/club chairman and secretary so only started reffing full time Nov last year after stepping down from a number of roles. It was suggested by RDO that this would be a possible route for me given my age (44) and experience, have requested to join the promotion scheme this coming season, just wondered how this works in practice.

SWC220 do you have to apply to go from 7-5 or was this purely based on your observations. Have been reffing for a number of years at youth level but also been a coach/club chairman and secretary so only started reffing full time Nov last year after stepping down from a number of roles. It was suggested by RDO that this would be a possible route for me given my age (44) and experience, have requested to join the promotion scheme this coming season, just wondered how this works in practice.
I was asked if this was something I wanted to do based on the observations I had in the first half of the season going from 7-6. With the extended promotion season this enabled me to put in in excess of 20 games up to October last year so then did 6-5 for the second half of the season. This only real works if you are able to referee adult games on Saturday's as well as Sunday's to get the matches in. I was lucky as due to the re-alignment of the promotion season this gave me more time than you would have for the coming season.

I was asked if this was something I wanted to do based on the observations I had in the first half of the season going from 7-6. With the extended promotion season this enabled me to put in in excess of 20 games up to October last year so then did 6-5 for the second half of the season. This only real works if you are able to referee adult games on Saturday's as well as Sunday's to get the matches in. I was lucky as due to the re-alignment of the promotion season this gave me more time than you would have for the coming season.

I have been doing 3-4 games a weekend adult open age Saturday Afternoons and Sunday morning as well as girls and mixed youth leagues too. Did over 20 games between Nov and March despite the weather, fitness not an issue as I manage a gym for a living. Hoping to progress as quickly as I can as started quite late too.

I have been doing 3-4 games a weekend adult open age Saturday Afternoons and Sunday morning as well as girls and mixed youth leagues too. Did over 20 games between Nov and March despite the weather, fitness not an issue as I manage a gym for a living. Hoping to progress as quickly as I can as started quite late too.
Should not be a problem at all for you to achieve. Just check with your RDO as I was told only open age games count and not even refereeing matches in a strong under 18 league were counted towards the target.
Good luck

That was 20 plus open age games as Sunday league is open age too, did 40 games roughly in that period despite the weather! Will speak to RDO, struggling to get a response at the moment, think may still be furloughed

Back