A&H

Promotion to SG1

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Might be complete nonsense but someone on Twitter is quoting 'sources' that 5 referees are being interviewed with the possibility of being promoted.

They say they are Gillet, Stroud, Harrington, Brooks and Salisbury.

As I say might be complete rubbish, but thought I would post for info.

The Referee Store
All they have done is list the SG2 referees that have had play off semi-final 2nd legs. Stroud and Salisbury did the League 1 games, and Gillett and Brooks the Championship. Harrington didn't have one, but did have the TA Trophy final.

I would be amazed if Stroud is promoted given his age and the low amount of time he has left at senior levels.

All they have done is list the SG2 referees that have had play off semi-final 2nd legs. Stroud and Salisbury did the League 1 games, and Gillett and Brooks the Championship. Harrington didn't have one, but did have the TA Trophy final.

I would be amazed if Stroud is promoted given his age and the low amount of time he has left at senior levels.
Harrington did the L1 play off final.

Good spot on the 4 'semi finalists'!

I suppose it makes sense that they must have had good seasons to get those games though?

Harrington did the L1 play off final.

Good spot on the 4 'semi finalists'!

I suppose it makes sense that they must have had good seasons to get those games though?

Yep, doesn't mean they are promoting all five though. Only Mason is retiring, so if they promoted five there would be way too many SG1 referees, at a time when some of them such as Jones and England are hardly being used anyway. I would guess at Gillett and possibly Brooks.

Yep, doesn't mean they are promoting all five though. Only Mason is retiring, so if they promoted five there would be way too many SG1 referees, at a time when some of them such as Jones and England are hardly being used anyway. I would guess at Gillett and possibly Brooks.
More good info, I didn't know Mason was the only one retiring.

Wasn't there talk, on here at least, that Mike Dean wanted to retire a couple of seasons ago, but was persuaded to stay on?

Could have been just internet tittle tattle again of course!

More good info, I didn't know Mason was the only one retiring.

Wasn't there talk, on here at least, that Mike Dean wanted to retire a couple of seasons ago, but was persuaded to stay on?

Could have been just internet tittle tattle again of course!

Don't recall that, but he did say in the Peter Couch podcast that he is coming towards the end and his recovery time is much longer than it used to be. I suspect 2021/22 will be his last.

They need to bring more through as Atkinson, Marriner, Dean, Scott, Moss and Friend are either in their 50s or will be very soon and won't be around for ever.

Some of the SG2 referees are realistically never going to make SG1, either due to their age or the fact they have been there for years and not progressed. Ideally they should have a rule that any SG2 referee who hasn't been in the top 40% of the merit table for three seasons is demoted so they can make room for up and coming L1 referees, although I suspect employment law is a challenge there.

Might be complete nonsense but someone on Twitter is quoting 'sources' that 5 referees are being interviewed with the possibility of being promoted.

They say they are Gillet, Stroud, Harrington, Brooks and Salisbury.

As I say might be complete rubbish, but thought I would post for info.
Must be accurate - it's in the Daily Mail Online yesterday . . . 👍😁

Could it be with a view to becoming a VAR. Are they using SG2 refs on prem games, I thought had to be ref equivalent.

Could it be with a view to becoming a VAR. Are they using SG2 refs on prem games, I thought had to be ref equivalent.

Jared Gillett has been VAR on several occasions this season, but he is very used to VAR from his time on FIFA and in the A-League. I can't recall any other SG2 referees being VAR, but the fact that he has suggests there is no blanket policy that VAR has to be SG1.

Must be accurate - it's in the Daily Mail Online yesterday . . . 👍😁
Never know what comes first these days. I DO know that a QPR fan once made up an entirely fictitious player and posted he was about to join QPR on a messageboard.

Took about 36 hours for it to be repeated on 'News' sites on the internet!:eek:

Never know what comes first these days. I DO know that a QPR fan once made up an entirely fictitious player and posted he was about to join QPR on a messageboard.

Took about 36 hours for it to be repeated on 'News' sites on the internet!:eek:
Wednesday did that too. Terry Henfleet 😂😂

Disagree about there being too many, there are too few and the Xmas period really enforces this but so does introducing VAR. I mentioned in the past, have a larger group and spread the games out much more evenly than there is at the moment, what's the logic in Oliver and Taylor doing 28 games(was as many as 32 in previous seasons) and the likes of Jones and England who are the upcoming referees just doing 10 or thereabouts. Oliver and Taylor got plenty of cup and Europeion games to deal with without having to do so many domestic games.

Be surprised if 5 are promoted, you just know they will only promote Gillett which I'm surprised has not happened all ready in all honesty.

I really appreciate the power ranger-esque photo

They really couldn't find a better photo of Harrington? I know that's an "in action" photo and he didn't pose for it, but that's not the photo you want to have in the release for the guy's biggest accomplishment in his refereeing career.

They really couldn't find a better photo of Harrington? I know that's an "in action" photo and he didn't pose for it, but that's not the photo you want to have in the release for the guy's biggest accomplishment in his refereeing career.
None of the referee pictures are particularly flattering. Mouth breathing pictures rarely look good.

Back