A&H

Puppet show first, Spinal Tap second

The Referee Store
Quick roundup then. The previous game went without a hitch. The FIFA boys looked good. Maybe a few stayed to swell the crowd to - a record for a middle for me - 140. Small country with small crowds remember. So there was actually some atmos!

Straightforward game, I disallowed a goal as the striker controlled with hand before a tap in. Ended 2-2.

Couple of notes: managed to squeal the kick off whistle d’oh, finger in the wrong place. For the disallowed goal, I stood, double beeped and signalled DFK. I realised too late it was a carbon copy of my ”goal” signal. Then I went to the spot of the offence, made a hand ball sign for everyone. Would have been so much better if I had double beeped while sprinting to the spot of the offence in the goalmouth.

The only duff moment was the first DFK of the second half. Previously, as an AR i’ve had refs tell me they want to give the first free kick of the half. Now I know why...

2 players locked and going down softly both off balancing each other in symmetry, no big deal for me, not enough for a foul either way for me. I see from behind 7 yards away, AR1 sees from the front 7 yards away. I lmmediately cut grass and shout carry on. Then AR1 signals DFK just after. I have to blow and use the fingers “he’s seen something” to try to sell it, that he’s seen something. But we are on the other side to the punters so it looks poor and damages my credibility at the start of the second half. AR2 said he heard my shout clearly from 40 yards behind me so it wasn’t great from AR1 who said he didn’t hear.

Anyway, these were two of the top teams in the country and depending on the circs (fans, benches, semi) I will consider adding this “I’d like to call the first free kick unless...” type thing in the pre match.

I only use multiple peeps (short, quick succession) to get attention (to wait for example)
The duration and intensity of a single blow depends on the significance of the stoppage. So, no goal = loud and slightly longer than normal

I’ve just found out about the running order for my U18 girls game today.

The match before mine, indoor ground, is an off season early round cup game being officiated by a Champions League 3.

No pressure then!

Not quite the same but I had Chris Waddle watching my game today (his son plays for the home team). It did make me a little nervous for some reason. I still couldn't look at him without remember that penalty!

Not quite the same but I had Chris Waddle watching my game today (his son plays for the home team). It did make me a little nervous for some reason. I still couldn't look at him without remember that penalty!

I've had Jeff Stelling run the line for me before. His flag technique is pretty interesting, one might almost be tempted to say "Unbelievable, Jeff"

I had Paul Scholes at one of my games watching his son. And he almost was drafted in to play. Same side he turned out for in the BBC news article.
Refereed John Bishops son while he was watching too, handshakes afterwards.
Also had Gary Seddon at a Preston Academy game too.
Only other to note was ran the line for Radcliffe FC who are managed by Jon Macken and Frank Sinclair.

Back