A&H

Open Age Pushed by winger

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Question for both referees and assistants.

As assistant, if running along the line alongside the winger, what would you do if you were then pushed (not to a point you fall over or anything but certainly hand on arm)?

As referee, if assistant flagged and told you what would you do and how would you restart? Would you want assistant telling you?

Basically today I was pushed as described above but I kept my balance and composure and ran alongside stating to him to not touch me again. Didn't impact me, or give him an advantage, so didn't tell ref until end of game but told player never to touch me or anyone else again. I have a tolerance level which I felt he didn't cross and I could deal with myself so did but would you have reported it straight away or expected me to have told you straight away?

The Referee Store
Out of interest, what did the referee say post-game when you brought it up?

Myself, personally I would not be very impressed if a player pushed me. I would be more than happy to support the AR if they elect to flag about the incident.

That said, I won't be too strict not to consider the reasoning for the push. If it's come about because of a positioning issue, or because that phase of play just so happened to bring the player and AR into conflict, then I'm more liable to let it go both as an AR and as a referee depending on the severity of the push.

If there's no positioning issue, then I have to wonder, what exactly is the justification for pushing the official?

Context is everything here.

As Rob0da says if its come as a result of positioning, during normal play then I'd be inclined to let it slide.

If not as part of play well then there are likely to be sanctions.

Disclosure: I have two black toes from players treading on me as AR from my first season in a quite high league a few years ago. I now always get out of the way if there is any chance if collision or impacting play. I often take two steps back, 2 forward depending on play close to me.

Accidental minor careless contact as part of play - nothing.
Accidental but heavy contact, OK let’s use reckless as part of play - got to be at least a warning, possible YC.
Deliberately using contact with an official for balance, control etc - YC
Anything naughtier than that with any degree of aggression has to be a RC.

I think, even in minor circs it’s only sensible to get your ref to deliver a proper warning.

But, IMHO, I think the best course of action is to GET OUT OF THE WAY!

Your first priority should be your own satety, so especially when players are heading across the field towards you... evasive action ;)

Well, if the offence happened on the field (eg on the line), and a card is issued, it's a DFK. That's the easy one.

As for the actual discussion - I've had a player push me on the line. It was just a matter of a bit of a collision, and the push was just an 'in the moment' thing simply trying to separate us so he could take off quickly (probably using me as a bit of balance too). Purely a result of the collision, nothing in it for me. But it's dangerous territory for the player and a tough one for the ref. If the push had knocked me over, I may have been reporting the outcome differently because the level of force isn't congruent with just wanting to just get on with things.

I feel like @santa sangria may think my one warranted a yellow though :)

that's different to an unprovoked push running alongside somebody, or as he's walking past - or coming up to me with a push while arguing. Those are red cards.

these things happen, if you were sure it was accidental, you were in his way, you made the right decision, dont go looking for trouble

Back