A&H

QFK?

one

RefChat Addict
There was a question recently if you should allow a quick free kick around penalty area. Most answers were no and match control being the main reason. This is a perfect example where one size does not fit all. You'd lose match control here if you don't allow it (fairness aside).

The Referee Store
You are of course correct and I totally agree.

As I recall though, on the thread in question, it wasn't quite that scenario. It was more like the usual situation where the whistle has gone for the FK, players have stopped, the defence is busy setting up their wall etc. and there is an expectation (certainly from a defensive point of view) that the ref is going to "ceremonialise" the proceedings and restart play with the whistle. ;)

There was a question recently if you should allow a quick free kick around penalty area. Most answers were no and match control being the main reason. This is a perfect example where one size does not fit all. You'd lose match control here if you don't allow it (fairness aside).

How were you able to post that video like that? Yesterday, I tried to post the other video on Law 12 but couldn't to I posted the link to the page. Thank you in advance.

Admittedly, in most cases, the attacking team will ask for 10 yards near the penalty area. Therefore, we'll do a ceremonial restart. However, the same things hold true for a free kick near the area as they do elsewhere. I'll immediately start to loudly tell the defenders to move back to 10 yards so the offense can take a quick free kick near the area if they so choose. I'll also be a lot quicker showing cautions if defenders race up to the ball near the penalty area.

All of that to say I'll do everything in my power to give the attackers the chance to take a quick free kick. Sometimes, a quick restart near the area is really dangerous as the defenders often assume the restart will be ceremonial. If a quick restart happens and the defenders complain, I'll simply say I never gave the signal to wait for a whistle to restart. That usually ends the discussion.

How were you able to post that video like that? Yesterday, I tried to post the other video on Law 12 but couldn't to I posted the link to the page. Thank you in advance.
Hi to the page of the specific video (not the page of all videos) copy the link and paste it in your post in a new line. The forum automatically converts it to a inline video feed.

Admittedly, in most cases, the attacking team will ask for 10 yards near the penalty area. Therefore, we'll do a ceremonial restart. However, the same things hold true for a free kick near the area as they do elsewhere. I'll immediately start to loudly tell the defenders to move back to 10 yards so the offense can take a quick free kick near the area if they so choose. I'll also be a lot quicker showing cautions if defenders race up to the ball near the penalty area.

All of that to say I'll do everything in my power to give the attackers the chance to take a quick free kick. Sometimes, a quick restart near the area is really dangerous as the defenders often assume the restart will be ceremonial. If a quick restart happens and the defenders complain, I'll simply say I never gave the signal to wait for a whistle to restart. That usually ends the discussion.
I would not recommend that. As soon as you get involved it has to be ceremonial. My suggestion is not be helping the attackers or the defenders when there is a chance when a goal can be scored.

I'll immediately start to loudly tell the defenders to move back to 10 yards so the offense can take a quick free kick near the area if they so choose. I'll also be a lot quicker showing cautions if defenders race up to the ball near the penalty area.

A teaching phrase that I took to heart is that the defending team's only right on a FK is to not be confused by the referee. Once you start telling people to back up, you are creating the impression of getting involved, which creates the impression of a ceremonial restart. I agree with @one that you don't want to talk about 10 yards unless you are going to make it ceremonial.

I have done this and I also wouldn't recommend it because it can really screw up your match control! Near the PA if a team asks for a quick one as I'm getting to the area then I'll let them have it, but once I've got there and the defence are setting up then I'll tell everyone "it's on the whistle".

I have had occasions where a team has scored while the defence were getting ready - that doesn't usually end well. You either need thick skin or to not mind sending players off. I don't mind sending players, but I don't need to go looking for cards. The games I get they usually come to me.

I would not recommend that. As soon as you get involved it has to be ceremonial. My suggestion is not be helping the attackers or the defenders when there is a chance when a goal can be scored.

The defense must be 10 yards from a free kick. If I can’t use my voice, then I’m using my cards and it will be a ceremonial free kick anyway.

The attackers have a right to take a quick restart.

The defense must be 10 yards from a free kick. If I can’t use my voice, then I’m using my cards and it will be a ceremonial free kick anyway.

They do but they cannot demand players be ten yards away in order to facilitate that. LOTG are clear than an opponent cannot deliberately prevent the quick free kick but if they intercept while they happen to be (say) 7 yards away as the QFK is taken then thats tough.

Reactions: Nij

They do. You have the right to make it ceremonial but you sent have the right to confuse players about your instructions. Once you use your voice you create the impression of making it ceremonial if the free click is around the PA. Technically you not doing anything wrong but from a game management and fairness , it is not right. @socal lurker explained this well.
An analogy I would use is if an assistant flags too early, defenders stop and attackers score a goal. Technically the goal is legal but game control gone.

Basically cheating the fouled against team to aid my match control?
No thanks.
I tell the defenders to retreat, then ask the player by the ball if he wants the wall back 10 or to take it now?
99% of the time they want the wall back, then it becomes "ceremonial". The very few occasions they've taken a quick free kick I think maybe 2/3 resulted in goals.
The fouling team conceded from a free kick they gave away...boo hoo.... isn't that the point of free kicks???

The video that prompted this thread is the epitome of a true quick free kick in the attacking 3rd.

Attacker is fouled, second player gets the ball, ensures it's stopped and in the right place before quickly slipping it through to attacker 3 who scores.

For me a quick free kick is one where the referee is not having to get involved proactively, no intervention to get players away, maybe only a quick "yes" if the player says "can I play ref?" As a referee you need to ensure its in the right spot and also the ball is stationery when the kick is taken, but that's it.

The moment you've got to start managing the situation by shouting to get players away, or manage treatment for players then the opportunity to go quick is lost.

Are people actually going to chalk this goal off ?

Im giving that all day, my take on quick free kicks is fine if you do it right away within a second or two but if you haven't done it by then its on the whistle.

What I've been practicing based upon things I've read in http://www.askasoccerreferee.com/ is to avoid saying anything UNLESS you are making the restart ceremonial. The minute you start yelling to move back to 10 yards, the defense can be confused into thinking the kick is ceremonial. I avoid saying/doing anything unless 10 yards is requested and the first thing I do is point at the whistle and yell out to everyone that the restart is on the whistle. What would happen if you yell out to move 10 yards and the defense is in the process of moving back and forming a wall when QFK is taken and scored. A defender could be well justified in thinking it was ceremonial since referee yelled out.

What I've been practicing based upon things I've read in http://www.askasoccerreferee.com/ is to avoid saying anything UNLESS you are making the restart ceremonial. The minute you start yelling to move back to 10 yards, the defense can be confused into thinking the kick is ceremonial. I avoid saying/doing anything unless 10 yards is requested and the first thing I do is point at the whistle and yell out to everyone that the restart is on the whistle. What would happen if you yell out to move 10 yards and the defense is in the process of moving back and forming a wall when QFK is taken and scored. A defender could be well justified in thinking it was ceremonial since referee yelled out.

Yes, I had an issue like this in one of my first games. I started bringing the wall back, and had pointed at my whistle and told the kicker to wait for my whistle. As I was walking the wall back, he took the kick (and scored), and the defenders argued that he already took the kick and started to line up for a kick-off..

Back