A&H

Query over ball size

Andy Brown

I had a query today of the circumferences of a size 4 ball.

Are there any FA/FIFA rules over the circumference of a ball. The teams new match ball when compared to last years was a a bit smaller. T

he game was played with last years to avoid any confusion but since coming home I cant find anything on the FA or FIFA site regarding ball circumference for anything but size 5. Is there anything?

The Referee Store
I had a query today of the circumferences of a size 4 ballf

Are there any FA/FIFA rules over the circumference of a ball. The teams new match ball when compared to last years was a a bit smaller. T

he game was played with last years to avoid any confusion but since coming home I cant find anything on the FA or FIFA site regarding ball circumference for anything but size 5. Is there anything?

Not written in the laws. Just says it can be adapted for youth football. I would assume competition involved should have an answer as the LOTG don't specify

If it's stamped eith 'FIFA apprved' and 'Size 4' there's not much else you can do I guess. If not marked as 'approved' then question it.

Law 2 says: "The ball is of a circumference of not more than 70cm (28 ins) and not less than 68cm (27 ins).
A size 4 is going to be smaller than that so in youth football is this where Law 18 is applied?

Law 2 says: "The ball is of a circumference of not more than 70cm (28 ins) and not less than 68cm (27 ins).
A size 4 is going to be smaller than that so in youth football is this where Law 18 is applied?

No, Steve, you have to flip back a few pages to the 'Notes on the LOTG' where it tells you that the Laws may be modified for players under 16 years of age, amongst others. Size and weight of ball are both included in the list

cannot see anything in hand book but a quick surf found this:
U-9, U-10, & U-11: Size 4 is the standard soccer ball for kids aged between nine and 11 years old. It has a circumference of 25-26 inches and a weight of 11-13 ounce.

cannot see anything in hand book but a quick surf found this:
U-9, U-10, & U-11: Size 4 is the standard soccer ball for kids aged between nine and 11 years old. It has a circumference of 25-26 inches and a weight of 11-13 ounce.

lotg page 3, melton ;)

I was just thinking to myself that it was childish to laugh at the thread title (only every time I see it...) And now @haywain adds that :D

The carry on team should be looking to make "carry on referee". Shame Sid James is deceased, he was the king

Back