A&H

Open Age QUESTIONS,QUESTIONS!

Matthew Jones

A few questions to ask more experienced referees than me!

1. Slide tackles- a player slides for the ball in a normal situation (not a lunge) but his studs are showing when he makes contact with the ball and his momentum carries him through the player- how do you call it? Is a studs showing slide tackle always a foul no matter if contact is made with the ball.
2. Foul throws-players feet on the ground, ball taken from behind the head but when he brings it forward he doesnt release it until it is level with his forehead. Is this a foul throw?
3.Attacker shoots and the keeper saves/parries it out to an attacker who runs onto it from being level with the last defender.Goal or Offside?
Thanks

The Referee Store
1) Often still a foul (and occasionally worthy of a card) but depends on how much momentum is carried through into the player
2) As long as it's a throw not a drop then no this is not a foul throw. That won't stop numerous players appealing for it! A phrase like 'it's ugly but it's not a foul throw' can sometimes help
3) Goal. Level is onside. If he was closer to the goal than the second last defender (including the keeper) then this would be offside

A few questions to ask more experienced referees than me!

1. Slide tackles- a player slides for the ball in a normal situation (not a lunge) but his studs are showing when he makes contact with the ball and his momentum carries him through the player- how do you call it? Is a studs showing slide tackle always a foul no matter if contact is made with the ball.
2. Foul throws-players feet on the ground, ball taken from behind the head but when he brings it forward he doesnt release it until it is level with his forehead. Is this a foul throw?
3.Attacker shoots and the keeper saves/parries it out to an attacker who runs onto it from being level with the last defender.Goal or Offside?
Thanks
IMO... 1) Studs showing ,dangerous play YC and IDFK as no contact made...
2) Foul throw
3) Goal.... not offside, as he is level with last defender.

Interesting though! Two replies with Q1&2 and two different answers.
Q1- So idfk if no contact with possibility of a yc. Contact dfk and yc?
Q2-why a foul throw Mikedn?
Q3- Thought it would be a goal!

One further question-attacker goes for a bouncing ball at waist height. Defender stoops down to try to head it but the attackers foot gets the ball before clipping the defenders head. He calls for a high foot as the attackers foot has clipped him. How would you call this one?

First, foul if contact made, yellow/red depending on speed and force, maybe IDFK if no contact at all.
Second, rarely any foul throws on my pitch, I'm not that fussed unless it's ridiculously poor.
Third goal!!!!!!!!

One further question-attacker goes for a bouncing ball at waist height. Defender stoops down to try to head it but the attackers foot gets the ball before clipping the defenders head. He calls for a high foot as the attackers foot has clipped him. How would you call this one?
Bit silly to stoop that low really, but attackers foot too high would give DFK for high foot

For me the throw should be released when above the head ( thats what i was told at ref course) not in front so i have always given foul throw for that ( only twice i believe) and no-one complained....

Bit silly to stoop that low really, but attackers foot too high would give DFK for high foot
I thought i'd read in the new rules that it should be a idfk to the attackers as the the defender has played dangerously by putting himself in danger!?!?!?!

I thought i'd read in the new rules that it should be a idfk to the attackers as the the defender has played dangerously by putting himself in danger!?!?!?!
I just read through the copy of the new laws sent to me by my FA and i can't see anything to that effect..

No change to the laws, playing in a dangerous manner applies equally to the high foot close to an opponent's head as the opponent's head being so low as to be in danger of being kicked.

I just read through the copy of the new laws sent to me by my FA and i can't see anything to that effect..
Any player who plays in a dangerous manner, including endangering himself, is punished wit the award of an IDFK to the opposition. Been that way for years

Any player who plays in a dangerous manner, including endangering himself, is punished wit the award of an IDFK to the opposition. Been that way for years
I don't disagree, i just stated i couldn't see anything in the new laws as mentioned by matthew jones

I don't disagree, i just stated i couldn't see anything in the new laws as mentioned by matthew jones
Sorry-new rule book is what i have that is why i mentioned it. So in the instance mentioned what would you give. If the defender was endangering himself then isn't that an idfk to the opponent as he could have won the ball without trying to head it.

Back