A&H

Quick Free Kicks

Had an assessment last Saturday. The Assessor said that when giving a free kick within scoring range, I should stand in front of the ball and if there is a chance to allow it to be taken quickly, then ask the attacking team and if they say yes, stand out of the way. My problem with this is that where you see a goal keeper moving either out of the goal or away to organize his wall, it is a bit unfair on the defending team, especially where they may rely on my position in front of the ball to presume the kick is to go on my whistle.

What are your thoughts on this?

The Referee Store
The observer has managed the worst of both worlds regarding quick free kicks. Observers will have their own quirks often around set play management, in this case just nod your head and then ignore him.

Yeah. Don't do that.

Stand away from the spot 2-3m, if the attacking team dither, then you can ask the kicker if they want the whistle...
But, anything within 25m to goal and it's usually obvious the kicker wants ceremonial, usually you are close to the spot because you are corralling defenders...
When you tell it is "on the whistle" tell the kicker... tell and show the kicker clearly... you don't have to start waving the whistle at everyone else... show the kicker so clearly, obviously that everyone in the universe can see...
If there is any chance that a quick free kick is going to get taken from the wrong place, get your little double peep or instruction to the kicker in early before it becomes a mess or gets taken...

And when you are managing a free kick, do one thing at a time, don't wave and point while pacing, don't "on the whistle" while gesturing something else... this makes things much clearer for the players and punters ;)

(I tell you this because I've made all these "mistakes" for you already!)

The advantage of a quick free kick is to the attacking team not the defence.

If the defending team don’t concede the foul no opportunity for a quick one.

I normally ask the teams to ask me for a quick one when speak to the captains. If I don’t get asked then I take it they want a ceremonial free kick and mark the yards accordingly, indicating wait for the whistle before doing so, so everyone clear.

I don't agree with it. If the defending team infer from your actions that it's on the whistle, it could cause game management issues. I know they're not meant to assume anything, but if you're standing in front of the ball, I think that's the likeliest conclusion anyone would draw.

I don't agree with it. If the defending team infer from your actions that it's on the whistle, it could cause game management issues. I know they're not meant to assume anything, but if you're standing in front of the ball, I think that's the likeliest conclusion anyone would draw.
It’s not their choice to have though, it’s the advantage of the attacking team. You may choose what you like, the management issues are their’s to cope with. You’ve cards for that!

Last edited:
If you've had the time to get there and stand in front of the ball it simply can't be quick any more. We all have different views on this but standing in front of the ball signals you're managing it.
Your observer hasn't given good advice there.

What game management issues? You have the weapons to manage all eventualities.......
Hate this "game management" crepe.
If a team are ready to take a quick free kick, let them!

'Game management' is perilously close to referees artificially impacting the game in my opinion. If the attacking team wants to take a free kick quickly which may lead to a goal and cause the referee issues then so be it. We are there to officiate what happens during the match not alter it artificially to suit ourselves in my opinion. We are facilitators, not participants in the match. I extend the same opinion towards 'what football expects'.

In sixty or so games, within shooting distance, I've only had one player keen on taking a QFK
Either, the average 'parks player' assumes the request will be rebuffed, or they're not sharp enough to consider it an option. Most players are like sheep dogs, waiting for a whistle to spring into action

Its true that they are like sheepdogs BC, a very good call, when you don’t blow or need to blow they are expecting it and wanting to hear it’s tone. Its like a few members in here awaiting the dinner bell to lead the stampede! 👍

The greatest trick the weak referee cabal ever pulled was convincing players free kicks around the area have to be on the whistle.

Its true that they are like sheepdogs BC, a very good call, when you don’t blow or need to blow they are expecting it and wanting to hear it’s tone. Its like a few members in here awaiting the dinner bell to lead the stampede! 👍
I say 'when you're ready' as frequently as they say, 'in the back, ref'! A QFK in my world involves 5 minutes deciding on the taker, followed by the ball sailing over the bar. Once it hit the wall, which made a pleasant change :egg:

You'll go a long way to find a Sunday Legaue player who will pass up a 25 yard free kick regardless of whether his team would benefit from a quick one or not!

What game management issues? You have the weapons to manage all eventualities.......
Hate this "game management" crepe.
If a team are ready to take a quick free kick, let them!

You seem to be misunderstanding me. I'm disagreeing with the assessor saying to the referee to stand in front of the ball, not that the team can't take a quick freekick.

'Game management' is perilously close to referees artificially impacting the game in my opinion. If the attacking team wants to take a free kick quickly which may lead to a goal and cause the referee issues then so be it. We are there to officiate what happens during the match not alter it artificially to suit ourselves in my opinion. We are facilitators, not participants in the match. I extend the same opinion towards 'what football expects'.

Saw a perfect example tonight. Lyon defender lies on top of the ball claiming a foul. Ref gives an indirect free kick to city. City tske it quick and are in the box with a good chance to score so the Ref stops play so he can issue a faux telling off to the Lyon player (clearly doing so to prevent the chance of a goal and the gestations that will come from Lyon. That was clear 'game management' and it was the referee preventing the attacking team from a chance to score due to possible complaints. That is not what the ref is there to do.

Back