A&H

Quick IDFK in the box

The Referee Store
It's the advantage of the attacking team to take the IDFK, as soon as the conditions for doing so, are met.

Last edited:
It's the advantage of the attacking team to take the IDFK, as soon as the conditions for doing so, are met.

The goalkeeper picked up the ball outside of the goal area. The ball was placed in the correct spot. There's nothing wrong here. The GK should have prevented the quick FK even if it meant taking a yellow for DR.

The goalkeeper picked up the ball outside of the goal area. The ball was placed in the correct spot. There's nothing wrong here. The GK should have prevented the quick FK even if it meant taking a yellow for DR.

Yes just watched it again, and corrected myself. Thanks

WilliamD said:
Hope the link works.

Correct call on IDFK...but I would never let it happen quickly in the box like that. Am I wrong or is this ref “wrong”?
Well, at least for me the link doesn't work, so I can't really comment based on the exact circumstances here. However in general terms, I believe it is permissible to allow a quick free kick anywhere on the field. This is especially true if a team has been deprived of possession of the ball and/or in the case of an offence in the penalty area, deprived of a promising attacking opportunity, by an illegal act on the part of the opponents. Having said that (and I don't know what this incident involved as I can't view the video) if the situation was that of a ball deliberately kicked to the keeper, the attacking team did not have possession of the ball so the scenario is a little different.

The team offended against has every right to have the 'status quo ante' restored as expeditiously as possible. Conversely, the team committing the offence has no rights whatsoever (although there is an expectation that they should not be misled by the referee).

There are circumstances where a quick free kick is not indicated (or even not allowed, such as when "the referee has decided to caution or send off a player") but there should be no outright prohibition of it based solely on location, in my opinion - and I'm not aware of anything in the Laws that suggests there should be either.

Last edited:
The video is no longer available, so can’t comment on it his exact scenario.

However, providing I don’t need to slow the game down, issue a caution , or send someone off my only criteria for whether I’ll allow a quick free kick is if the offended team take it quickly.

If I blow they take the kick from the correct place almost immediately then they can crack on. What annoys me is when you blow for the foul, and it’s not until I’ve got to the location of the foul and paced the wall out etc and only then do they want to take it quickly.

Back