A&H

Quiz question

The Referee

The answer to a quiz question stumped me somewhat.

Here's the question:
A player scores a goal by supporting himself on the shoulders of a team-mate. What does the referee do?

I thought the answer was award an indirect free kick but the 'correct' answer was
award an indirect free kick and caution the player

I couldn't find anything in the laws of the game. Can anyone explain it, please?

The Referee Store
I have no idea. Playing in a dangerous manner perhaps? I can't recall this cropping up in the LOTG?

Although not specifically mentioned in the Laws any more, this is considered to be Unsporting Behaviour. Back in 1993 Law 12 had as an International board decision note 4:

"If a player leans on the shoulders of another player of his own team in order to head the ball, the referee shall stop the game, caution the player for ungentlemanly conduct and award an IFK to the opposing side. "

Although not specifically mentioned in the Laws any more, this is considered to be Unsporting Behaviour. Back in 1993 Law 12 had as an International board decision note 4:

"If a player leans on the shoulders of another player of his own team in order to head the ball, the referee shall stop the game, caution the player for ungentlemanly conduct and award an IFK to the opposing side. "
Nice work, I knew it wasn't allowed, but that's only because you experts have discussed it on here previously

So, under the current laws as they are written should it just be an indirect free kick and no caution?

No, IFK and caution. There is no independent IFK offense here. There is USB, which is a caution and results in an IFK because the misconduct was not physical against someone.

No, IFK and caution. There is no independent IFK offense here. There is USB, which is a caution and results in an IFK because the misconduct was not physical against someone.

I thought maybe it was indirect free kick for playing in a dangerous manner? Isn't it a tad harsh to caution for unsporting conduct?

I thought maybe it was indirect free kick for playing in a dangerous manner? Isn't it a tad harsh to caution for unsporting conduct?
If being supported on the shoulders of a teammate is necessarily PIADM, then you've got a lot of free kicks to give for almost any time anybody leans against anybody else, let alone uses contact to take a player down.

Last edited:
If being supported on the shoulders of a teammate is necessarily PIADM, then you've got a lot of cautions to give for almost any time anybody leans against anybody else, let alone uses contact to take a player down.

Why lots of cautions?

Back