A&H

racist comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
At a game a club assistant gives offside. A manager disputes it and somebody says "even stevie wonder would have seen it". Is this a racist comment?

The Referee Store
It is discrimination, but not racial. Disability discrimination is a dismissal offence (with the usual proviso about First Aiders and the need for a responsible adult at a youth game)

Reactions: ARF
At a game a club assistant gives offside. A manager disputes it and somebody says "even stevie wonder would have seen it". Is this a racist comment?
The comment amounts to the sum total of zero imo. Not even a flicker of interest from me

Your response is even more bizarre than the question...
Crazy world we live in now, but let's say there was some offence taken the referee would be within his right to dismiss for it.
And the County FA would be duty bound to follow their discrimination procedures for it.
Someone's eyesight or lack of it is a protected charecteristic.
Not saying I disagree with your sentiments but there will and there are folks out there who, probably rightly, are offended by such comments.
I like Big cat am unlikely to bat an eyelid, unless it caused something but it's not propoaterous for someone to take a dimmer view.
Definitely not racist though, that's for certain

My response is based on working with people who receive casual discrimination on a daily basis, and on the FA's approach to the subject.
Obviously the context is an essential part of any decision making with comments of this type (and often used as an excuse for not acting) - I was just advising a new referee that comments of that sort should not be ignored and can result in a dismissal.
It's one of those "You needed to be there" issues, to give the context and assist in decision making.

It is discrimination, but not racial. Disability discrimination is a dismissal offence (with the usual proviso about First Aiders and the need for a responsible adult at a youth game)
That is PC taken a step too far. As you say in a later post context is important. But in this post you call it flat out discrimination. 99 out of 100 this is just a rant mixed with banter mixed with witt, at most deserving a caution for dissent but easily managed with a public warning.

That is PC taken a step too far. As you say in a later post context is important. But in this post you call it flat out discrimination. 99 out of 100 this is just a rant mixed with banter mixed with witt, at most deserving a caution for dissent but easily managed with a public warning.
It is discrimination. The majority of match officials will pretend they didn't hear it, as shown by responses to date, but hopefully after reading this thread some will think "Should I do something about it?"
A warning or caution may suffice.

It is discrimination. The majority of match officials will pretend they didn't hear it, as shown by responses to date, but hopefully after reading this thread some will think "Should I do something about it?"
A warning or caution may suffice.

Screenshot_20201011-000451.jpg

Who was unjustly treated here based on their disability? If you say it's offensive (to blind people), I could buy it based in context etc, but not discrimination.

View attachment 4612

Who was unjustly treated here based on their disability? If you say it's offensive (to blind people), I could buy it based in context etc, but not discrimination.
To you and Kes, the Equality Act 2010 sets out that physical or mental disability is a protected characteristic; blindness is a disability; discriminatory comment was made . . . we could play semantics, but no point in doing so.

Reactions: Nij
Just to clarify - saying somebody who is famously blind can actually see is discrimination? I assume this is because they are being called a liar and they really can see?

Bit of a grey area this one, it is more of a very common joke used about someone who has a disability rather than discriminating against an individual. Was years ago but I remember Stevie Wonder being asked about it in an interview and he said he found it amusing.

Can someone be offended if they aren't there? What if there was a blind person there who was offended by the comment?

Whatever it is though it definitely isn't a racist comment, not even sure how racism was even brought into the equation here?

To you and Kes, the Equality Act 2010 sets out that physical or mental disability is a protected characteristic; blindness is a disability; discriminatory comment was made . . . we could play semantics, but no point in doing so.

No discriminatory comment was made. End of.

If avoiding "semantics" means explaining how you view it as discriminatory then it's no wonder you don't want to fella. 😂

FA Rule E3.1 - A Participant shall at all times act in the best interests of the game and shall not act in any manner which is improper or brings the game into disrepute or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour.

FA Rule E3.2 - A breach of Rule E3.1 is an “Aggravated Breach” where it includes a reference, whether express or implied, to any one or more of the following :- ethnic origin, colour, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation or disability.

FA Rule E3.1 - A Participant shall at all times act in the best interests of the game and shall not act in any manner which is improper or brings the game into disrepute or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour.

FA Rule E3.2 - A breach of Rule E3.1 is an “Aggravated Breach” where it includes a reference, whether express or implied, to any one or more of the following :- ethnic origin, colour, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation or disability.

Speaking the name of a blind man who isn't there. Where's that then? 🤣

a coach shouted to one of his players last week that Stevie Wonder could see he was offside when I gave the offside.
No way am I ever sanctioning that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back