A&H

Red Card in Penalty Area

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone!

What is the correct decision/procedure?

Keeper comes sprinting out to get the ball which is in the air.

Attacker touches ball past the keeper to the keeper’s left and has an open goal.

The keeper takes the attacker out inside the penalty area with a tackle, studs showing, straight into the attacker’s thigh (six inches or so above the knee). It’s quite possibly the worst tackle I’ve ever seen. Just beyond dangerous and if the attacker’s leg was planted, it was a leg breaker and he was lucky to be okay.

You could argue that the keeper attempted to play the ball which would of course make it a yellow card. But does the SFP mean that it’s a red because SFP is a red regardless of other factors?

Thanks everyone!

The Referee Store
Hi everyone!

What is the correct decision/procedure?

Keeper comes sprinting out to get the ball which is in the air.

Attacker touches ball past the keeper to the keeper’s left and has an open goal.

The keeper takes the attacker out inside the penalty area with a tackle, studs showing, straight into the attacker’s thigh (six inches or so above the knee). It’s quite possibly the worst tackle I’ve ever seen. Just beyond dangerous and if the attacker’s leg was planted, it was a leg breaker and he was lucky to be okay.

You could argue that the keeper attempted to play the ball which would of course make it a yellow card. But does the SFP mean that it’s a red because SFP is a red regardless of other factors?

Thanks everyone!
The only DOGSO offence which is downgraded to a caution (inside the PA), is a careless foul which is an attempt to play the ball. Reckless Play combined with DOGSO is DOGSO and SFP combined with DOGSO is SFP
When two offences occur simultaneously, the Ref sanctions the more serious offence

Last edited:
The only DOGSO offence which is downgraded to a caution (inside the PA), is a careless foul which is an attempt to play the ball. Reckless Play combined with DOGSO is DOGSO and SFP combined with DOGSO is SFP
When two offences occur simultaneously, the Ref sanctions the more serious offence
To be clear here:

DOGSO with a careless or reckless foul that is an attempt to play the ball and the restart is a penalty kick will be a caution.

DOGSO that also happens to be SFP will be, as Big Cat states, a dismissal for SFP (you could, if you have the ability to report things, ALSO mention that this SFP incident denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity).

To be clear here:

DOGSO with a careless or reckless foul that is an attempt to play the ball and the restart is a penalty kick will be a caution.

DOGSO that also happens to be SFP will be, as Big Cat states, a dismissal for SFP (you could, if you have the ability to report things, ALSO mention that this SFP incident denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity).
Interesting one, because not all careless fouls are an attempt to play the ball either
Some combinations I've not really considered before, but as both RP and DOGSO are penalised by sanction, I'd have gone for the more serious sanction regardless of the 'attempt to play the ball'. I guess it boils down to when the book say's something specific (attempt to play the ball) but then elsewhere generalises with the 'more serious offence' business

Interesting one, because not all careless fouls are an attempt to play the ball either
Yup, that's why I pointed that the two are basically the same when it comes to considering DOGSO. A reckless challenge could be an attempt to play the ball, but just poorly done and mistimed.

Of course, the bit I missed:

DOGSO with a careless or reckless foul that is clearly NOT an attempt to play the ball will be a dismissal, even if it occurs within the penalty area.

Yup, that's why I pointed that the two are basically the same when it comes to considering DOGSO. A reckless challenge could be an attempt to play the ball, but just poorly done and mistimed.

Of course, the bit I missed:

DOGSO with a careless or reckless foul that is clearly NOT an attempt to play the ball will be a dismissal, even if it occurs within the penalty area.
RP+DOGSO is fairly rare because the R tends to consider the tariff involved with challenges to prevent a goal (not saying that's right, that's just how it is). Normally, it's a push/pull that's associated with DOGSO (not downgraded) in the PA

Back