A&H

Red card to goalkeeper

akokkalis

You show red card to goalkeeper. His team completed already 3 subs. One in play player has to take his position under the post.

My question. What shirt has to wear this player? The one that normal goalkeeper had before red card?
And if yes..its not wrong to show a red card to number 1 lets say and that number its still in game with other player?

What is the solution to this?

The Referee Store
You show red card to goalkeeper. His team completed already 3 subs. One in play player has to take his position under the post.

My question. What shirt has to wear this player? The one that normal goalkeeper had before red card?
And if yes..its not wrong to show a red card to number 1 lets say and that number its still in game with other player?

Usually, yes. The outfield player would indeed have number 1 on, but as long as you have checked who the player is and what number they were wearing beforehand, I can't see an issue.

You have shown a red card to the player, when you dismiss him your process should involve taking his name - shirt number is incidental.

One of the other players should take off his shirt and put on the goalkeeper's in order to distinguish him from the outfield players.

The new keeper hopefully goes under the crossbar and between the posts :D

Some competition have rules around this. It has to be the same number he was wearing before but a distinct colour. I think this rules is ridiculous and never works.

Just use common sense. Let him/her wear whatever shirt number they have available and note down the time of game shirt numbers were switched. When reporting caution or send off, make sure you put it against the correct player and if necessary mention the change of shirts and time of it in your reports.

PS: some leagues/associations/countries don't require taking names when sanctioning.

Last edited:
Here in Australia we never worry about names. We get given a team sheet with all these details, if we caution a player we just take the number and look it up at end of game. So if a new player goes in goal I just make a note of what number they had before...they can then wear a goalie shirt with any number they like on it..

Back