A&H

Reds, v Cityzens

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Onside. Talking point is the first goal, not this one.

handball anyone?

TAA is a handball at the last WC.

But what about the new law that says HB cannot lead to a goalscoring opportunity?

Silva handles the ball first. Surely then that has to be the offence, there cannot be advantage as TAA handles next.

Surely the correct call is DFK to red for the Silva HB that leads to goalscoring opportunity...

(But both laws are rubbish!)

But what about the new law that says HB cannot lead to a goalscoring opportunity?

Silva handles the ball first. Surely then that has to be the offence, there cannot be advantage as TAA handles next.

Surely the correct call is DFK to red for the Silva HB that leads to goalscoring opportunity...

I sense an email to IFAB coming on here!

Surely winning a penalty = creating a goalscoring opportunity. So if the ball hits an attackers hand, changing it's path and then causing it to directly hit a defenders hand....has the accidental attacking handball caused the defensive handball and therefore created a goalscoring opportunity?

Under the old laws there’s no problem, both Silva’s HB and TAA’s are not deliberate, unexpected ball, play on.

(The commentators on neither feed I have have picked up on the Silva HB by the way).

I sense an email to IFAB coming on here!

Surely winning a penalty = creating a goalscoring opportunity. So if the ball hits an attackers hand, changing it's path and then causing it to directly hit a defenders hand....has the accidental attacking handball caused the defensive handball and therefore created a goalscoring opportunity?

Rock and a hard place. Not considered in the laws. Just like the other thread with accidental HB in own box leading to breakaway goal - to be brought back for pen!)

PS don’t overlook Rodri’s schoolboy clearance for the assist!

funny thing about this first goal. Bobby Madley tweeted about this exact scenario yesterday.
according to him

"The purpose of the original law change was that a goal could not be scored directly from the hand and this included ‘almost directly’ ie. a player gaining possession/control and then passing to someone who scores thus ‘non-punishable’ handball which is followed by several passes or starts a counter attack (including a long distance pass towards other end of field of play) would not be punished, even if this results in a goal or goal scoring opportunity"

funny thing about this first goal. Bobby Madley tweeted about this exact scenario yesterday.
according to him

"The purpose of the original law change was that a goal could not be scored directly from the hand and this included ‘almost directly’ ie. a player gaining possession/control and then passing to someone who scores thus ‘non-punishable’ handball which is followed by several passes or starts a counter attack (including a long distance pass towards other end of field of play) would not be punished, even if this results in a goal or goal scoring opportunity"
...accidental HB straight to penalty decision is in which camp? It’s not several passes is it? Is it almost directly?

according to him

He's weighed in again:

I don’t see an offside. The handball for the first is one of them that would be given to certain teams against certain teams...that’s all I’m saying!

Let's say that the law covered this and made it a DFK for the defenders. Then if the ball hits an attacker's hand, for the next 3 seconds, every defender in the PA has the powers of a goalkeeper. See the issue? E,.g the ball accidentally hits an attacker's hand and pops up, defender in the PA deliberately catches the ball and claims a deliberate handball by attacker (which only the defender's actions made it so). I can't see how you are going to make this work fairly.

No he doesn’t. It takes a long as it takes. Would we rather they made a decision after 10 seconds and then spend another 3 minutes sitting around just so it takes as long as the Sheffield offside so it remains consistent?

Its a joke, you're on your own defending this weekends debacles!!!!

Its a joke, you're on your own defending this weekends debacles!!!!
I’m not defending it, I actually agree with the Sheffield decision being questionable on another post. All I’m saying is that guy didn’t have a good point as all the decisions in the Liverpool game were spot on and made quickly. Let’s not knock it when it works.

I’m not defending it, I actually agree with the Sheffield decision being questionable on another post. All I’m saying is that guy didn’t have a good point as all the decisions in the Liverpool game were spot on and made quickly. Let’s not knock it when it works.

The Salah onside goal was certainly correct and made quickly. You can't knock VAR for that.

People will have different views on the handball but they certainly looked at it for longer than 10 seconds - I think they said it took 22 seconds before the goal was scored and then it took a bit longer after that. The one in the Sheffield United one relied on them callibrating the lines which takes longer whereas this was more of an opinion call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back