A&H

Referee dies at age of 19

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
It is with sad news that We lost a fellow referee yesterday to the terror attacks in Tunisia thoughts and prayers out to his family

The Referee Store
Well - having digested the awful news from Tunisia - I'd like to pay tribute to Joel Richards.

I knew Joel personally - he helped out refereeing many of the BUCS League fixtures on a Wednesday afternoon for me (in my position as Referees Appointments Officer) at the University of Worcester.

A very keen official who wanted to do as much as possible - always used to get an email from him on a Monday inquiring if there was anything scheduled for that Wednesday - and if I needed an official at short notice - he was always the first one I would ring.

I watched him on many occasions refereeing at the University - and two things always struck me - he always had a smile on his face - and his interaction with players was of an extremely high standard. There was rarely a time he came off the pitch to negative comments from players - it was always lots of smiles, jokes and handshakes.

Another thing that struck me was his ability. For an official so young - he had a very experienced, mature style that would have done him nothing but good on his way up the system. The FA have lost a very capable and talented referee.

As a result I'm hoping to put into place either an official annual award for the sports official who goes above and beyond in their commitment to sport at the University of Worcester (where he also studied) - or a Bursary funding to provide kit and other stuff for the officials there that require it - both in partnership with the Sports Department at the University.

RIP Buddy - you'll be sorely missed next season...

RIP Joel local lad to me , tragic loss had a very promising career ahead of him ... Sleep tight buddy. Such a cruel world we live in

Back