A&H

Referee Exam

lucy707

Hi all, I just have two questions that I would be greatdulmif anyone could answer.

1. What is the offside signal for a referee? I always thought it was just the signal for an indirect free kick but from what I've noticed every ref seems to do it differently, for example one ref I saw does the signal like it VAR but with just one line instead of a rectangle.

2. My referee exam is coming up and I just wondered if anyone had any tips, like should I revise for it and is it hard :))

The Referee Store
1. Simple answer: hand up just like an IDFK
2. Areferee.com quizzes (watch out for trick questions) and read chapters 11-12 in particular in the Laws of the Game

Don’t worry about how referees you have seen signal as offside is a difficult one to indicate the position from a practical sense and they may just have developed habits. For the exam just stick to the laws.

When I started refereeing I used to just raise my left hand to indicate offside but I have since changed this to raising my hand first and then following with a quick point to indicate where it is from (this is my good/bad habit).

Always remember to keep your arm raised until the ball has gone out of play or touched another player.

Best of luck in your exam!

Don’t worry about how referees you have seen signal as offside is a difficult one to indicate the position from a practical sense and they may just have developed habits. For the exam just stick to the laws.

When I started refereeing I used to just raise my left hand to indicate offside but I have since changed this to raising my hand first and then following with a quick point to indicate where it is from (this is my good/bad habit).

Always remember to keep your arm raised until the ball has gone out of play or touched another player.

Best of luck in your exam!
Thankyou for your advice!

1. What is the offside signal for a referee? I always thought it was just the signal for an indirect free kick but from what I've noticed every ref seems to do it differently, for example one ref I saw does the signal like it VAR but with just one line instead of a rectangle.
There are official referee signals for restarts and for some communications but no signals for offences.
For example just like there is no signal for handball, there is no signal for offside.

Interestingly, dropped ball is the only restart without a signal.

Official communication signals are like the ones for advantage and VAR.

Some non-official signals for communicatimg offences have become common, like the one you mentiined for offside but they are non standard and vary from one referee to another (some referees use an upside down windscreen wiper for offside). The laws don't require you to use these non-standard signals and some observers don't like them either.

Last edited:
There are official referee signals for restarts and for some communications but no signals for offences.
For example just like there is no signal for handball, there is no signal for offside.

Interestingly, dropped ball is the only restart without a signal.

Official communication signals are like the ones for advantage and VAR.

Some non-official signals for communicatimg offences have become common, like the one you mentiined for offside but they are non standard and vary from one referee to another (some referees use an upside down windscreen wiper for offside). The laws don't require you to use these non-standard signals and some observers don't like them either.
Ah right Thankyou for your help

Back