A&H

Referee specific training exercises

MGatiss

Level 4 Referee
Hi guys, as part of my degree i need to design specific training programmes for different groups, one of which is refereeing. If anyone would like any fitness sessions or exercises give me a shout with what you want to improve and I'll see what I can do. The best way to do it is via email so include in message or message me :)

The Referee Store
There is always discussion and requests on here for general stamina improvements. Any tips?

A good one for pre season and through the seasoning general is this.

Starting at the edge of one penalty area, run to the edge of the other area in >15 seconds. However long it took you is the rest period that you have (ie, if it took you 14 seconds, you have 14 seconds rest). You then repeat this another 5 times (6 runs in total).

After this set has been completed, you then have a 1 min 30 rest before running from penalty area to penalty area and then back again (2x lengths of distance) in >30 seconds. Once again however long it takes is the rest period. This is completed 6 times and another 1 minute 30 rest at the end.

Finally (you guessed it) your distance increases to 3x lengths, in a time of >45 seconds, with the same rule for the rest periods. 6 sets again. This is the last set so it will be very difficult, but this is the stage where you will feel the most benefits long term!

Enjoy ;)

Evening:)

I feel that I could be abit faster, do you have any training ideas for speed please? :)

Ps Any ideas on how to get a six pack;)

Ps Any ideas on how to get a six pack;)
Yes, go to any supermarket and find the alcohol section, you should find a 6 pack there :p
Jokes aside, I think your best bet for a 6 pack is just general training. Running and core work should do the trick in theory. 30 day ab challenge should work as well.

To get a 6 pack is 90% diet. You need to be at least less than 10%(ish) body fat before you can even think about it ;)

If you're already pretty fit, then to improve your speed work you need to start looking at leg exercises(squats, leg press, leg curls etc) as that'll improve your initial acceleration.

A good session to make you sprint for longer is to set up 3 cones in a line, 5m apart. Starting in the middle, you sprint as hard as you can for 5 seconds, and then have 25 seconds rest. Do this 12 times, then rest for 5 mins. Next, move each cone back by 2m and reduce rest time to 20 seconds, but still running for 5 seconds. Complete another 12 times.

You can keep going as long as you can ;)

What would you suggest for us fattys who are extremely over weight??

Been running since end of the season and picked up a stress fracture in my foot, so looking for some good advice for some non weight bearing exercises (currently sticking to the cross trainer an hour at a time)

Yes, go to any supermarket and find the alcohol section, you should find a 6 pack there :p

Aled that is such a stupid response. Alcohol of course comes in four packs! :)

(Ps aside from the new Budweiser 6 x 300 ml bottle pack which ruins my point)

Mgatiss - I will give your suggestion a goat the weekend. Looking forward to it, of course :)

Svenny, swimming is always a good form of exercise with little resistance on ur feet. Equally aqua aerobics is good :)

A good one for pre season and through the seasoning general is this.

Starting at the edge of one penalty area, run to the edge of the other area in >15 seconds. However long it took you is the rest period that you have (ie, if it took you 14 seconds, you have 14 seconds rest). You then repeat this another 5 times (6 runs in total).

After this set has been completed, you then have a 1 min 30 rest before running from penalty area to penalty area and then back again (2x lengths of distance) in >30 seconds. Once again however long it takes is the rest period. This is completed 6 times and another 1 minute 30 rest at the end.

Finally (you guessed it) your distance increases to 3x lengths, in a time of >45 seconds, with the same rule for the rest periods. 6 sets again. This is the last set so it will be very difficult, but this is the stage where you will feel the most benefits long term!

Enjoy ;)

Okay, just returned from having a run out with the above training. Good workout with a distance of approx. 60 metres between penalty areas (making the pitch about 93 metres) For those with already great stamina this might be a little easy, but adding a fourth set of 4 x distance in 1 minute would make it a considerably more "interesting" (something I will aim for in the coming month). For those like me still training to improve stamina preseason it was a good workout as it is.

Great suggestion mgatiss

Back