A&H

Refereeing my old team..

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
So then lady’s & gents just refereed my old team & it was great.

Had my reservations before hand & had doubts regarding a whole load of things pre game but once I blew the whistle it felt like any other game, it’s my 8th game so I’m still a baby in refereeing terms.

Anyway onto the game itself, wasn’t to much banter and jokes before kick off tried my best to distance myself from my old team, I also addressed each player by there number or fella, there was a bit of arguing between my old team regarding who’s running the line and believe it or not the match ball (long story don’t ask) anyway we get the match underway & within 2mins I’ve blown the whistle to stop play the opposing teams keeper was shouting ref ref so instinctively I’ve blown the whistle (not sure why I blew) I turn to him & it turns out he was actually shouting press press not ref ref, so I had a few jokes and banter thrown at me I thought to myself sh*t this is going to be a long afternoon, anyway from that moment onwards I never looked back, the game was tight from start to finish but not to difficult to ref, few hairy challenges here and there few verbals from each team but I had it under control, in all honesty there was nothing of note to report in the game, second half still 0-0 & I’m breezing the game the only issue in the whole game was one of my lads I don’t actually know him he only joined this season but he is known for being a hot head & is a complete pr*ck, he gave me a bit of verbal a few times and was warned, I let him get away with one challenge & on the 90th min with the home team (my old lot) 1-0 up he cynically took sum1 out so went into the book, he said you’ve been dying to do that I said know you’ve been dying for me to do that, it turns out he’s a copper (nothing against police I must add) but he was a knob!

Anyway game ends 1-0, nearly all the players shake my hand & say we’ll ref’d which made me feel great, apart from the copper of course which sums him up I guess, he’d given me verbal all second half & wasn’t man enough to shake my hand.

So anyway it was amazing that i was only at a wedding last week with a few of the lads & know them all like brothers but come kick off I felt nothing differently towards them or the away team.

All I can say is had this game been two months ago I would have been a mess but it’s amazing how quickly you build confidence & start to get a feel for it.

I’d also like to say thanks to every single last one of you on here for being there to chat to from day one, it really has been a great help & confidence builder knowing we’re all in the same boat, I’m 8 games in & feel like I’ve improved loads I hope it continues.

The Referee Store
Glad to hear it went well. :)

It was a big game for me, I’ve kept my refereeing on the down low & not had anyone come to watch me I wanted to have sum degree of ability before being put on view infront of mates & people that know me.

This was my audition as such to prove to everyone that I’ve made the right move, it was very satisfying for me to get recognition and acceptance from my old team mates.

Enjoyed it & actually starting to enjoy refereeing full stop.

Back