A&H

Refusing to attend a disciplinary hearing

Gi over, the old grey suits couldn't run a bath never mind guaranteeing the safety of anyone... He should be able to attend on a different day at very best...

I've been to several hearings, including those resulting from me being threatened, and have never feared for my safety. Referees should be kept in separate rooms to the clubs and players, they will enter the hearing room before them and leave well before the hearing ends.

Attending on a different day, that'll work. Under FA discipline regulations the accued players / clubs have a right to ask questions of the match officials but only through the commission chair, that is going to be tricky if he isn't there. This isn't crown court where cases run over 6 months ... !

The Referee Store
I’ve been to a couple too, I was the youngest there by about 30 years... and I’m no spring chicken...
who can guarantee anybody anything once they leave the confines of the room. Do they really care??? Give the bloke a bit of leeway, obviously something happened that’s not good. He’s retiring because of it.... can’t break dem protocols!

Say you are available via Skype. Realistically you are only going to get charged if you tell them you are refusing to attend.

Saw a County FA were put on the naughty step for incorrectly charging Ryan Hampson for breach of referee regulations when he was acting in another capacity.

I’ve been to a couple too, I was the youngest there by about 30 years... and I’m no spring chicken...
who can guarantee anybody anything once they leave the confines of the room. Do they really care??? Give the bloke a bit of leeway, obviously something happened that’s not good. He’s retiring because of it.... can’t break dem protocols!

We are trying to help him. As Alex has said, refusing to attend potentially means a charge and a subsequent suspension from all football activities, and that would include his league committee role. He needs to seek advice.

Don't confuse all counties with others. I chaired a hearing when I was barely in my forties and the other two commission members weren't much older. Conversely I sat on the other side of the table at a Wembley hearing where one of the panellists was so old he kept nodding off. Although it doesn't really matter how old someone is as long as their functions still work.

I think everyone assuming here he is dealing with a capable competent FA. If it takes an FA three weeks to suspend a player who assaulted a referee, it would be anything but.

I don't have every fact but I can see where he is coming from. If it's anything like what I have dealt with in the past, he is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

My only advice is giving up is not the solution. You are letting them win. This is exactly what they want.

We are trying to help him. As Alex has said, refusing to attend potentially means a charge and a subsequent suspension from all football activities, and that would include his league committee role. He needs to seek advice.

Don't confuse all counties with others. I chaired a hearing when I was barely in my forties and the other two commission members weren't much older. Conversely I sat on the other side of the table at a Wembley hearing where one of the panellists was so old he kept nodding off. Although it doesn't really matter how old someone is as long as their functions still work.
yes I agree he needs advice, he's obviously scared and is going to retire because of it.... Why would he possibly want to re-enter the situation that made him retire??? Does he really care bout anything at the moment?? Your advice is spot on for an ongoing referee but he's past that stage and wants to say bye bye.....There isn't a protocol box for that I'm sure!!!! Give him a break!!!

I don't feel safe going.
Then tell them exactly that and state you’ve nothing to add to your report. Refusal to go sounds like you’re in the wrong but when you’ve been assaulted, you’re not.

yes I agree he needs advice, he's obviously scared and is going to retire because of it.... Why would he possibly want to re-enter the situation that made him retire??? Does he really care bout anything at the moment?? Your advice is spot on for an ongoing referee but he's past that stage and wants to say bye bye.....There isn't a protocol box for that I'm sure!!!! Give him a break!!!

But he hasn't retired from all football and that is what he would potentially be facing suspension from. Just explain the situation to the CFA and see what they say.

Back