A&H

Relationship with coaches

Hi everyone, we are having a mid season review shortly and the issue of culture and relationship with coaches is one of the issues on the agenda. To date I haven’t really gone out of my way to be actively involved with coaches if I can help it as most of the time they are expressing frustration with a particular decision or providing me with an unsolicited character assessment. To be honest I have felt a bit of a decline in the quality of my engagement with them over the last year or so but I am not sure if this is a more widespread phenomenon on just what goes with the territory when you do higher level games. Does anyone have any tips for how I might be able to be more proactive in dealing with coaches and build better relationships?

The Referee Store
Outside of how pleasantly and courteously you engage with them pre-match, I don't think there's much any referee can do in that area once the match starts. They're either professional and disciplined in their behaviour (like you are) or they're not.

I always try to remember their Christian name (if I can) which helps add a "personal" touch for any communication you might have to engage in during the match but other than that mate, since you're the "blame outlet" for both teams, you're stuck with whatever is presented to you on the day.

Others may of course see it differently ... :)

Outside of how pleasantly and courteously you engage with them pre-match, I don't think there's much any referee can do in that area once the match starts. They're either professional and disciplined in their behaviour (like you are) or they're not.

I always try to remember their Christian name (if I can) which helps add a "personal" touch for any communication you might have to engage in during the match but other than that mate, since you're the "blame outlet" for both teams, you're stuck with whatever is presented to you on the day.

Others may of course see it differently ... :)
I work with a lot of coaches without a 'Christian' name ;)

Be polite and respectful. Show just enough deference when players are around.

Have a good AR1 and build a good relationship with your AR1. AR1’s in-game comments to benches can make or break the ref’s relationship with the coaches (in serious NAR games with no 4th). A quiet or daft AR1, or one that lacks confidence, needs your advice pre-game. A strong, smart AR1 will say the perfect thing to the benches to support you at the right time.

Back