A&H

Junior/Youth Relying on massively confused CARs

black_dog

My daughter was refereeing the U12s again on Saturday. An offside goal that was allowed to stand showed how difficult it can be with inexperienced refs + CARs.

Red attacking so defence up, ball breaks to a White midfielder who wellied it clear. Red defender protected themselves with their hands (specific guidance from the Association that these aren't HB) and my daughter shouts play on. Ball deflects to White forward who was in an offside position, who goes on unchallenged to score. Daughter was behind play and unsure about offside, so looked over to the CAR as the ball fell to the White forward. No flag, shrug of the shoulders, so she awards the goal.

What had happened was: handball not given, shout of play on, deflected off defender = CAR basically has no idea what's going on.

Unfortunately, the second last defender was about exactly in line with the Red technical area, and it was obviously offside, and they went on to lose. Red coach complained after the game, so I told him to put his CAR through the Association AR training. I told my daughter afterwards that anything other than vanilla offsides, make the call as if the CAR wasn't there, even if you are behind play.

The Referee Store
Interesting that deliberately moving arms/hands into the path of the ball has been directed to be disregarded as handball.......what's the justification for that?

Likewise it could be argued that by deliberately blocking the ball the red defender has intentionally played the ball........

Also, struggling to picture how this happened......was the red defender in front of the white forward?....in which case the ball has rebounded backwards?

Yes, I am not convinced that the directions re HB are strictly in accordance with the LOTG. Basically the instructions for youth games up to U16: boys are allowed to protect lower areas and girls higher, with an statement that this will not be called. I think that some of these 'local' additional Law descriptions will set some of the refs up for a hard time when they move up or somewhere else.
Definitely a deflection. Hit the defender square onto both hands like a miscued volleyball set, and the ball went straight up over their shoulder with enough speed for the forward to run onto.

When I have CAR's I try to position myself to be able to make the decision as much as possible. That's the best advice I can offer.

Interesting that deliberately moving arms/hands into the path of the ball has been directed to be disregarded as handball.......what's the justification for that?

There is perhaps some scope to be sympathetic towards younger players but I've always been advised that protecting oneself by deliberately handling the ball is still an offence within LOTG.

Depends if it's selfreflexive or otherwise done at a distance where you can't react otherwise, or if the player is deliberately standing back and allowing the ball to strike the arms.

Is there a distinction between DELIBERATE and INSTINCTIVE ..?

I think there is ... I think it could be deemed instinctive to bring hands up into the path of a ball to protect one's face and therefore not deliberate (and therefore not handball as per LOTG)

Our local RA discussed this one recently, with an active L3 making the distinction - having applied it in a game on the goal-line - and - in his words - getting away with it

Obviously easier to sell decisions outside the penalty area ... Never happened to me inside the area

We need to be careful how the 'local' deviations from the LOTG are interpreted.

Many years ago our local association issued a memo allowing female referees to 'protect their chest' with their hands if their hand were tightly tucked in on their chest. The use of this local rule expanded to a stage were female players were using their hands to control the ball the same way as a male player chests the ball (a blatant deliberate handball). A couple of years ago our referee association decided to abolish this 'local rule'.

The LOTG is flexible enough to allow a looser interpretation of deliberate handball for lower skilled grassroots, younger, female (or male for that matter) players. There is no need for special rules or instructions.

Many years ago our local association issued a memo allowing .....

I'm surprised and concerned that several correspondents have made reference to "local rules". I have never seen a situation where my local RA would issue an instruction that did not comply with LOTG. On occasion they have issued guidelines on interpretation of certain circumstances but such guidelines would come with sanction from the national FA or, ultimately FIFA.

I'm surprised and concerned that several correspondents have made reference to "local rules". I have never seen a situation where my local RA would issue an instruction that did not comply with LOTG. On occasion they have issued guidelines on interpretation of certain circumstances but such guidelines would come with sanction from the national FA or, ultimately FIFA.

I should have added that there has been at least two occasions where one of the local footballing associations have issued teams with instructions which did not respect LOTG. These were challenged by the RA and consequently withdrawn.

Many years ago our local association issued a memo allowing female referees to 'protect their chest' with their hands if their hand were tightly tucked in on their chest
Those female referees should just 'man up' in my opinion ;). We all know that refs getting hit by the ball in painful places is the height of entertainment for players, coaches and spectators alike :rolleyes:

Reactions: one
Back