A&H

Replacing A CAR With *Another* CAR From The Opposite Team?

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
Can it be done?

Reds had 12 men, so the sub first half ran the line. Absolute pro - it was flawless including flag pointed down for not offside.

Second half, he is brought on - and the sub'ee becomes AR.

He is useless, he is worse than useless - he's actually detrimental.

He didnt keep up with play, he stood in line with the edge of the centre circle, on his phone.

The defence would should "offside" he'd look up and wave the flag (in the same style as you would wag a finger - it was the strangest flag work ever!)

So if I was in agreement with the defence, I would give it (much to the attackers hatred - who would argue "He's not even watching the game"). Then if I didnt agree, I would let play go on - and face the wrath of the defence (who even came out with the statement of "If the linesman flags you HAVE to give it - otherwise, whats the point of having them).

The blues were a quick side too, so there was a LOT of offside/not offside action. But EVERY decision was ball ache.

Because they didnt have another player - whats my choices? Sack off both NARs and I do it? Replace the Red NAR with a Blue NAR and have 2x Blues?

It ruined the second half of the match, because it looked like I wasnt in control - even though I was all over every decision - whether it was over-ruled or not.

The Referee Store
Sorry if this splitting hairs but do you mean NARs as surely they would be Neutrals...? Promise it isn't meant to sound picky and sorry if it does Silhouette!;)

Easy one - only have the CARs (club assistant referees ;) ) do ball in and out of play. Do all the offsides yourself.

If you are going to use CARs, they are only there to assist you and should be briefed that there will be times when you overrule them (I also brief them that it is going to happen, please do not take offence, chances are they will know they are right and I am wrong, please don't hold it against me! *shared laugh*)

Also brief the players that they play to the whistle, don't react to the flag - it will end in tears!

I agree with Monkey, only get them on ball in and out of play.

Perhaps should the same situation arise in terms of the phone mention to his coach that if he doesn't pay attention and stop messing about you will have to relieve him from is duties and get somebody else, which obviously if they don't have somebody suitable may have to be from the other team.

I've had to relieve one CAR of their duties, so I also removed the other one to be fair to the players - but also for me. I'd rather have none than one (or both from same team!).

AFC dont do assistants (club or NAR unless Prem div) so am used to not having them.

if they comlain then I direct them to their "sub".

And then mark them down loooooooooooooooooooooooow

I sent off the sub (and only other person aside from the manager) for one team before for OFFINABUS, no arguments when the only volunteer that came forward was one of the spectators watching and from the home club. I let him do it and he was brilliant!

Thanks for the responses peeps.

Yes, I meant CARs.

I always worry about offside, because if im watching play (say in the 16 yard area) and they clear it and the forward is away, he can sometimes be a mile offside, but in the space of time it takes me to turn see the ball (to see where its going) then look down, notice players, then assess the line... Thats more than a split second.

I like to use CARs for offside as a starter for 10, 80% of the time they are brilliant though.

But yes, I do over-rule and I will wait to see if the player they flag (which they shouldnt have flagged... yet) actually interferes or if another runner will go for it.

But usually, flag goes up, defenders stop, cheekily quick winger (not offside) runs for the ball.

Happens a lot.

Manager shouts "Play to the whistle!!"

Manager shouts 'Play to the whistle!!' (I could practically hear it being shouted as i read your post) :)

....and, Ross, how come we can't edit our own thread titles?

Manager shouts 'Play to the whistle!!' (I could practically hear it being shouted as i read your post) :)

....and, Ross, how come we can't edit our own thread titles?
Coz if I allow that, itll allow you to edit others posts, so cant be having that now can I?

Back