A&H

Restart and location

Status
Not open for further replies.

one

RefChat Addict
Moments after a goal is scored against the opponent's team you notice a team-mate of the goal scorer had re-entered the FOP without your permission. He clearly did so before the goal was scored evident from the position he was when you notice him and after the previous restart when he left the FOP. He did not interfere with play during this time.

From where and how would you restart the game?

The Referee Store
Law 3. If a sub or subbed player enters the FOP without permission, the referee stops play, though not straight away if there's no interference as in this case. The player is cautioned.

If the referee stopped play to issue the caution, it's IFK to the non-offending team from location of the ball at time of stoppage.
If the referee noticed when the ball is not in play, then they delay the restart of whatever kind, issue the caution, and then permit the restart.

Disallow and goal kick restart. Reference law 3 that discusses a goal scored with an extra person on the FOP, that definition also includes when a player is the extra person.

@bester The law is clear on disallowing the goal so I agree with you on that. However how do you justify the goal kick restart? Would it be the same if the 'extra player' had scored the goal? How about if he had set up the goal with a pass? Or another interesting variation of the OP when the ball was deflected off a defender before it went into the net?

Reading the below, correct to disallow the goal, there is no reference to the bit in bold about interfering/not interfering with play. How do you restart play? Drop ball from the place where you noticed the player, I guess?

Goal scored with an extra person on the field of play
If, after a goal is scored, the referee realises, before play restarts, that there was an extra person on the field of play when the goal was scored: • the referee must disallow the goal if:
– the extra person was an outside agent and he interfered with play
the extra person was a player, substitute, substituted player or team official associated with the team that scored the goal
• the referee must allow the goal if:
– the extra person was an outside agent who did not interfere with play
– the extra person was a player, substitute, substituted player or team official associated with the team that conceded the goal

Ooooo more slightly contradictory laws from the magic book.

Page 67 states if there is no interference, play on

Page 68 explicitly states no goal can be scored

What is the point in allowing play to go on for the team who have offended if scoring is impossible?

i have no idea what the restart would be, The only given method is IDFK which I am not sure works if the ball is in the net, unless you penalise the player from the time he walked into the pitch? Goal kick fits as it is used in other laws but is no specified.

The only thing you can guarantee here, is the ref is bang in trouble as nobody on the scoring team will accept his decision if he upholds the LOTG correctly (varying levels of unacceptance depending on the nature, importance and temperature of the game!)

Turns out to be a great question @one :)

The goal is only disallowed if an extra player is on the FOP when goal was scored. If the extra person came on to the FOP, didn't interfere and then left the FOP before a goal was scored, then the goal would stand. Hence two apparently contradictory laws.

In addition, if the team with the extra player is defending, the laws allow them to move the ball away from their goal without necessarily scoring.

Restart? I would go for GK as according to the second law quoted the extra player effectively interferes with play (by causing the goal to be disallowed) only when the ball crosses the line however an IDFK from where the ball was (ie the moment before it crossed the line) would be more or less the same thing so practically either would work.

Ooooo more slightly contradictory laws from the magic book.

Page 67 states if there is no interference, play on

Page 68 explicitly states no goal can be scored

What is the point in allowing play to go on for the team who have offended if scoring is impossible?

i have no idea what the restart would be, The only given method is IDFK which I am not sure works if the ball is in the net, unless you penalise the player from the time he walked into the pitch? Goal kick fits as it is used in other laws but is no specified.

The only thing you can guarantee here, is the ref is bang in trouble as nobody on the scoring team will accept his decision if he upholds the LOTG correctly (varying levels of unacceptance depending on the nature, importance and temperature of the game!)

Turns out to be a great question @one :)

Reading pages 67 and 68 again, I think page 68 effectively overrides page 67 if a goal is scored. i.e. you can play on if the sub is not interfering with play (for example the other team about to score), but if the team that the sub plays for score and the sub has entered the FOP, that is not a goal.
There is nothing to say how the game is restarted though!!

I don't think this is an 'extra' player - it sounds like it's a player who was off for an injury and came back on without permission. In which case I'm giving the goal and cautioning the player for reentering.

I don't think this is an 'extra' player - it sounds like it's a player who was off for an injury and came back on without permission. In which case I'm giving the goal and cautioning the player for reentering.
The law on pg 68 is not about an 'extra player'. Its about an 'extra person' who is a player (subtle difference). Pg 68 clearly says if the extra person is a player then the goal is disallowed. Now if the OP is not a case of the player being an extra person, under what circumstance can ever an extra person be a player? (I bolded the word player because we are NOT talking about a substitute or a substituted player as they have their own provisions)

Caution to entering player and disallow the goal for me. But whether I book them or just tell them to go away in an actual match is another question with many different variables.

Now if the OP is not a case of the player being an extra person, under what circumstance can ever an extra person be a player? (I bolded the word player because we are NOT talking about a substitute or a substituted player as they have their own provisions)
Fair point. Maybe a player who's been sent off? Or, of course, an additional (typically twelfth) person.

Last edited:
On a side note:
Player enters field.
Is involved with play.
Referee does not notice.
Goal scored.
Game restarted .......

What's next?
A - With the player still being on the field when you realise after the restart?
B - With player having left the field, however you later realised that he was on the field and active during the scoring of the goal?

Fair point. Maybe a player who's been sent off? Or, of course, an additional (typically twelfth) person.
Page 66
Outside agents
Anyone not indicated on the team list as a player, substitute or team official is deemed to be an outside agent, as is a player who has been sent off.
Outside agents also have their own provision as extra persons.

Page 17
Number of Players
A match is played by two teams, each consisting of not more than eleven players, one of whom is the goalkeeper
The twelfth person can not be a player, it would have to be a substitute, substituted payer or an outside agent on the FOP.
The only other case is if the team starts wit ten and the eleventh comes on without permission. This is no different to the OP though.

The question in the OP remains unanswered :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back