A&H

Round red cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I need to buy a second pair of cards. I found some old ones but they’re ruined. I was thinking about getting a round one as a spare for my front short pocket - this will be in the same pocket as my spare yellow. I wanted a round one so I can tell which one I’m about to pull out. I saw the old post on here from 2016 which had a link, but that one’s no longer available

The Referee Store
Surly round red and yellow/amber signs, sorry I mean cards are more suitable for traffic wardens. :)

Never personally understood the need for certain pockets to relate to red or yellow cards - particularly at Grass Roots level?

I just keep both mine in one sleeve of my note book and pull out the appropriate card for the occasion. Why make it more complicated? :)

Hmmmm. So you think putting two cards in two pockets complicated? (At least more complicated than two card in one sleeve of a notebook)

So do you put the red on top of yellow or the other way around?

I am yet to figure out when tossing the coin if I should have heads on top or tails.

We are seriously running out of topics to debate about :)

Hmmmm. So you think putting two cards in two pockets complicated? (At least more complicated than two card in one sleeve of a notebook)

So do you put the red on top of yellow or the other way around?

I am yet to figure out when tossing the coin if I should have heads on top or tails.

We are seriously running out of topics to debate about :)

Not really.

I just think at at Grass Roots, the correct protocol for cautioning or dismissing a player should be followed.

If that protocol dictates that you should take out your notebook and write down the miscreant's details, explain your decision and then show the relevant card - then why in the name of trousery bumwipes, would you want either card anywhere but in your notebook? :)

I’ve had advice to take two sets of cards and wanted to put my spare ones in certain places to know exactly where I have them. I don’t really wanna be carrying around two wallets so like the idea of knowing exactly where my cards are without having to fumble around if I ever needed them.

Could anyone advise me where I could buy a set of red and yellow cards that will last me a long time thanks

I’ve had advice to take two sets of cards and wanted to put my spare ones in certain places to know exactly where I have them. I don’t really wanna be carrying around two wallets so like the idea of knowing exactly where my cards are without having to fumble around if I ever needed them.

I'm guessing the advice given might have been to take a spare set of everything to a match with you Alex (sound advice too) but I can't see why a referee would need two sets of cards actually out with him on the field (?)

As I already said, keep both your cards where you know they'll be when you've got to use them (for me, it's the notebook). Spreading them out into differing pockets certainly won't assist with any "fumbling".

I'm guessing the advice given might have been to take a spare set of everything to a match with you Alex (sound advice too) but I can't see why a referee would need two sets of cards actually out with him on the field (?)

As I already said, keep both your cards where you know they'll be when you've got to use them (for me, it's the notebook). Spreading them out into differing pockets certainly won't assist with any "fumbling".

A second set is useful if the first falls out of a pocket, falls from your hand and blows away, or in the rare case that a player grabs one. But just like a spare whistle or second watch, the odds of actually needing it is pretty low.

We don't collect names--we check in players and have names and numbers, so we just write down the number and deal with the name later. I keep a loose yellow (front right shorts pocket) and loose red (back pocket) and have a set in my wallet (front left pocket). So I can either easily pull the loose card, or pull the wallet and have a conversation before the card. I find I almost always use the loose card. (Of course, a key to loose cards is always have them in the same place and to have them in pockets that are easy to access--I stopped using a shirt pocket for the yellow in part because I had shirts with different flaps/velcro, which could have me fumbling and I always want to look calm and composed if I am pulling a card.)

I was told to bring two sets on me during the game. It doesn’t affect me but just makes things easier to me. I remember when I gave my first two yellows, I was fumbling around for the red and I personally felt I could’ve made myself look better if I had completed it quicker. It’s a personal preference for me

I remember when I gave my first two yellows, I was fumbling around for the red and I personally felt I could’ve made myself look better if I had completed it quicker.

In that case mate, see post # 9. ;) :cool:

A second set is useful if the first falls out of a pocket, falls from your hand and blows away, or in the rare case that a player grabs one. But just like a spare whistle or second watch, the odds of actually needing it is pretty low.

We don't collect names--we check in players and have names and numbers, so we just write down the number and deal with the name later. I keep a loose yellow (front right shorts pocket) and loose red (back pocket) and have a set in my wallet (front left pocket). So I can either easily pull the loose card, or pull the wallet and have a conversation before the card. I find I almost always use the loose card. (Of course, a key to loose cards is always have them in the same place and to have them in pockets that are easy to access--I stopped using a shirt pocket for the yellow in part because I had shirts with different flaps/velcro, which could have me fumbling and I always want to look calm and composed if I am pulling a card.)

In the UK at Grass Roots level, it's different. Referees are taught to follow the correct procedure (whether they do or not is up to them) but it's designed to make the process simple and mistake-free.

I just can't imagine why people seek to un-simplify it. :)

Having a spare set is sound advice. There are rare occasions you need them. But where to keep the cards should be based on what works for you. @alexv could have just as easily made the process look awkward if he had two card in the note book, get the order wrong etc. It's a matter of setting a routine. And until you set that routine based on what works best for you, it could look awkward no matter where you keep your cards.

We are all different so what works for one person may not work as well for another. Whistle grip is another. You work those things out early in your career by trial and error.

Having a spare set is sound advice. There are rare occasions you need them. But where to keep the cards should be based on what works for you. @alexv could have just as easily made the process look awkward if he had two card in the note book, get the order wrong etc. It's a matter of setting a routine. And until you set that routine based on what works best for you, it could look awkward no matter where you keep your cards.

We are all different so what works for one person may not work as well for another. Whistle grip is another. You work those things out early in your career by trial and error.
Exactly my point!

@alexv could have just as easily made the process look awkward if he had two card in the note book, get the order wrong etc.

I'll always agree that each of us is different, in the same way that it's always going to be Alex's choice on what he decides works for him. :)

I'd be curious to hear how having a red and yellow card visible to him in his notebook, it might look "awkward" or how he might "get the order wrong" though. :D

I'll always agree that each of us is different, in the same way that it's always going to be Alex's choice on what he decides works for him. :)

I'd be curious to hear how having a red and yellow card visible to him in his notebook, it might look "awkward" or how he might "get the order wrong" though. :D
I find fumbling around the wallet awkward when under pressure. I’m sure I’ll improve that as I get more experience but that’s how it is now. Also, the pencil always seems to fall out if I’m fumbling with it and then the whole thing just looks messy. I like having routine when I referee and knowing I have an extra set of cards and exactly where they are, helps me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back