A&H

Running for stamina

kronell

Refs should have ideal stamina that will make them last long throughout the game. How do you find running? I recently joined some funrun events to socialize with other people and to improve my stamina as well. As a new ref, I find it important for me to have the energy and strength and be able to finish the game without feeling too tired and weak.

The Referee Store
I never bother with continuous running for the same reason I don't like the fitness tests .... when do we ever do a continuous 12 minute run? I do stuff like shuttles and bleep tests but most of my fitness is just built up through pre season friendlies

I never bother with continuous running for the same reason I don't like the fitness tests ....

I hate both. I'm awful at them.

If I had to run 12 minutes on the pitch though, I'd be fine. I have this mental block where I just switch off and get bored if I'm doing running with nothing to distract me. In the fitness tests I just follow someone and pretend they're a player dribbling the ball. :p

I'll be honest, this surprises me. I cycle, run a decent 5K, and the occasional
half marathon, and I think my fitness for the higher standard >U16 games would be insufficient without that training. Maybe I don't conserve energy that well during games.

I'll be honest, this surprises me. I cycle, run a decent 5K, and the occasional
half marathon, and I think my fitness for the higher standard >U16 games would be insufficient without that training. Maybe I don't conserve energy that well during games.
How many miles do top level refs cover in a game? 7? 8 tops? Your fitness profile should make it a walk in the park. Even mid 40s and not far short of 17st, i can do 6+ on a county size pitch. I much prefer the shuttle nature of reffing than plodding the roads at night. My last half marathon, i couldn't be ringed, so sat for 20 minutes watching the red arrows!

11km max top flight IIRC
Which should not be a problem over 100+ mins for anyone with half sensible fitness.
It's timing the acceleration and sprinting IMHO which is critical.
At each higher level it is surely harder and harder to promote any official that cannot convincingly keep up with the pace of players.
Interested to hear from the higher level assessors on that?

On an OA game i cover about 5.5 miles. I run with a club twice a week try and do park run, when I can, a couple of half marathons during the year, a weekly long run of at least 8 miles as well as doing two games at the weekend. I can keep up with play which means if I am close I can sell my decision whether I am right or wrong I am normally close enough to have credability. I hate running by myself so only my long run is solitary

I cover an average of 9.5 Km per game but would never train by just continuously running that distance. The way you train is up to you and you have to just experiment and find something that you not only enjoy, but also creates real game type environment. I do one 5 to 10 Km training run for weeks I don’t have a game but apart from that, I try to keep my training to interval style (run 500m at 3/4 pace, walk, run another 500m etc...). A good running coach on your phone can also help in regulating your training. The most important thing is not to over do things and get injured!

Back