A&H

Salah dive

The Referee Store
This does look like a foul, but he's such a brilliant cheat I have a niggling doubt

Dont think there is a doubt there is a clear pull of the shirt but.................
Yes, the massive over-reaction would put a doubt in my mind. There is a shirt pull however so Friend had one of his better days

Just seen the last few mins. In added time Robertson wins a throw then taunts the Brighton winger. It’s so blatant that the ref blows then gets Robo and captain Hendo over to a neutral spot to warn Robo but no card.

Some will call this smart refereeing.
But, for me, this is really poor, it’s last week’s ref stuff. It’s a clear YC, which would have also got the game restarted quicker - just flash the card, get on with it. And it was an error in law as far as I can see. Dismal TV ref moment:(

Tbh I wish we saw more penalties for pulling on the arms. It’d be a foul anywhere else on the pitch but in order for it to be a penalty the player almost always has to fall to get it. Same with shirt pulling and wrestling in the box at corners, but it almost seems a foul needs to ‘be worse’ in order for it to be given as a penalty. That way if all pulls were given, it’d stop these ‘dives’. I wonder if he’d have stayed up if he would’ve got a penalty for it

Watched this game. I thought Friend used the 'talking to' too frequent and for too long each time on incidents. Outside of that I thought he had a good game. One of his better ones.

Watched this game. I thought Friend used the 'talking to' too frequent and for too long each time on incidents. Outside of that I thought he had a good game. One of his better ones.
Agreed 100%. I've talked before about why I record "card free games" in my signature - it's so I can look back and decide if they were genuine card free games, or if I was just too slow to get a card out and too accepting of dissent or PI. There's no way this should have been a card free game.

I agree with Santa on Roberston, but I also noticed 2 or 3 times where Friend pulled the Brighton captain in to have a chat with him and one of his players regarding something that was said. Ignoring the fact that one of those incidents was clear dissent by action on it's own, surely there comes a point where you should realie that the captain isn't helping you out at all, and stop giving them a second chance? There weren't any awful tackles, but 2 Brighton cautions for dissent and Roberston for AA would have been a much fairer reflection of what happened.

Actually I had two game today with no dissent cards for the first time in ages. I did give one lairy big guy a proper shouting at to shut him up where I usually would have let the yellow talk. File under experiment. And it was the only dissent all game. But yeah Friend was too Friendly!

Back