A&H

Same club in a matter of a week or so?

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
We all know refs are impartial etc but do you think that a ref should be on a game where the home club was the same home club of a game he refereed a week or 2 ago?
This is an EFL fixture I am referring to and not a local league.

Not mentioning names or fixture but there was a bit of controversy in the previous match and this referee gets to go there again either side of fa cup weekend.

Obviously if the league thinks it's ok then what can we complain about but it could quite literally stir up the conspiracy theorists here.

Just asking for opinions.

I am regularly on the same 4 or 5 teams at step 7 (assistant) and have always had a different man in the middle. When talking about their season so far, the guys in the middle often say they haven't had them this season or it's been 3 months (home or away) etc. With a relatively good pool to choose from, how can the league see fit to appoint the same official twice to the same venue in literally a couple of weeks is a bit weird.

The Referee Store
We all know refs are impartial etc but do you think that a ref should be on a game where the home club was the same home club of a game he refereed a week or 2 ago?

Not mentioning names or fixture but there was a bit of controversy in the previous match and this referee gets to go there again either side of fa cup weekend.

Obviously if the league thinks it's ok then what can we complain about but it could quite literally stir up the conspiracy theorists here.

I am regularly on the same 4 or 5 teams at step 7 (assistant) and have always had a different man in the middle. When talking about their season so far, the guys in the middle often say they haven't had them this season or it's been 3 months (home or away) etc. With a relatively good pool to choose from, how can the league see fit to appoint the same official twice to the same venue in literally a couple of weeks is a bit weird.
The games are not appointed by the league, but by PGMOL.
I am guessing but the pool of referees is much smaller so refs will get to grounds multiple times in a season, so having them so close togethether is neither here nor there.
I see your point though, familiarity breeds contempt and all that!

If i mistakenly get the same team on consecutive weeks, I always query it. There should be no reason for it at any level as it can make life unnecessarily difficult for everyone concerned

Sounds like human error to me. We (local RA) have an appointment policy to discourage it. Our appointment system issues a warning if the same official is appointed to the same team twice within month.

If i mistakenly get the same team on consecutive weeks, I always query it. There should be no reason for it at any level as it can make life unnecessarily difficult for everyone concerned

Cause of transport it is my choice effectively to be on the same 4-6 teams in the league but they are fairly shared.
I done the same 2 teams reverse fixtures against each other and their cup tie.

I had a situation last year where I was assigned to a team for two matches a month apart. Not a huge deal, but when the first match was delayed 2 or 3 times, the matches ended up being literally two days apart. I contacted the league, they thanked me for doing so, took me off the second match, and the first was then postponed again to a date I couldn't do - so I ended up doing neither!

I don't see an issue with it when the games go well. The trouble starts if the first game was a powder keg game. Then it can be uncomfortable to be returning the following week, at least at local level.

The only time I've ever spoken to the players pre-match (with any gusto), was when I was appointed to a team with which I'd had a hard time a few weeks previous. I wanted to communicate a two-way clean slate (it's football after all). It seemed to work as the game went off without a hitch

Last edited:
Linesman Stuart Burt had Utd on Monday, and he got United again on Sunday....
Diff tournaments I know but still.....

I personally enjoyed doing the same team twice in two weeks. Even allowed me to speak to the home team and tell them im Reffing the same way I normally. Didnt stop everything though as ended up with a Red and a Minsconduct report

I'd never book games that way but it sometimes happened that i got the same team home and away consecutively ... Clean slate, different game...next

There's an open disciplinary case, officials in England at any level shouldn't officiate teams that have a pending disciplinary case that they were involved in.

It isn't as if he's having a night off, rather he is 4th official at Man City vs West Ham. Certainly an easier journey home for him anyway.

Happened to me, by accident, mass confrontation 2 off, 4 yellows. and a manager misconduct.. turned up week later at a different ground with them as the away team... handshakes and no cards ♥️ ....

Ok I overlooked the open case thing. No issues with that

More the case, why give it a chance to happen though.

Simple answer to that, nowhere near enough SG1 referees. Kevin Friend now 4th official at Chelsea, but he was refereeing them little more than a week ago.

Simple answer to that, nowhere near enough SG1 referees. Kevin Friend now 4th official at Chelsea, but he was refereeing them little more than a week ago.

yip same as I posted during the week, linesman Burt was on the FA Cup Utd game v Chelsea then had Utd again yesterday..

Back