A&H

Shinguards in a penalty shoot-out

HantsRef

Level 7 Referee
Just a quick question that I thought of...does a player have to wear shinguards during a penalty shoot-out?

My understanding would be that because it is one of the five required pieces of equipment in LOTG, this applies until the match is finished and therefore must be worn even though essentially they're not needed for their protective reasons...Please correct me if I'm wrong however...?

The Referee Store
Should expand...saw it during a match a while ago where a player asked can I take them off...manager told him to be 'stop being silly' however!!

answered your own question - LOTG states the required equipment. If they have it they play, if they don't, they don't.

The match is not completed until Kicks from the Penalty Mark are completed to determine a winner.

As such... shinpads are mandatory until that point in time.

Having said that, if a player in the centre circle takes them off to rub shins/calves or stretch them out, I have no issue with it, as long as they're back in promptly and definitely in if the player is taking a kick.

Yip they stay on. That said I wouldn't be checking to carefully so if a player took them off behind my back whilst in the centre circle and I didnt notice, I am sure I would still sleep soundly :)

Yip they stay on. That said I wouldn't be checking to carefully so if a player took them off behind my back whilst in the centre circle and I didnt notice, I am sure I would still sleep soundly :)
One of my friends got dinged in an assessment for that here a year or two ago.

Admittedly, it was one of those games that went incredibly smoothly, no flare ups, no missed fouls (they were all brutally obvious), and so forth where the assessor was really looking for something to put in the "needs to be worked on" columns.

Back