A&H

Short of numbers? Bad planning? Or, like anything till it happens, its never going to happen

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Ok I get it wont happen, but , however remote, it is a possibility.
Even leaving the chances of getting on the pitch out, there is mental stress, tiredness, and, who is to say game 1 does not have both managers binned and all hell breaking loose and Mike Dean all over the back pages, only to find by lunchtime he is back on tv...
It appears from the fixtures, Dean is 4th at Newcastle Saturday, so, leaves house 10am? Newcastle area for 1230? Home by, 9pm Sat.
Mentaly wind down, relax, eat, refuel, housework, home stuff to do, family to catch up on, no doubt MOTD, try to sleep, then. 8am alarm call to be in Liverpool area for 930? to do it all again.
If, and its if, he is called upon to step into the middle at Newcastle, its not enough recovery time.
And no way will it happen but it is a possibility, the midday Liverpool ref pulls up in warm up, and Dean refs two premier games in space of 14/15 hours!!

Surely there are numbers to go round to discount even the possibilty of this happening.
I would say being 4th twice in 14 hour is too much, but to even risk two middles?

The Referee Store
if a 4th official has to referee a game they wont do the one the next day

You miss my point. Had he been needed to be in the middle today, he would still be on duty tomorrow
This was my reservation
I personally think 2 4th man appointments in the same 24 hr is ludicrous as it is.

You miss my point. Had he been needed to be in the middle today, he would still be on duty tomorrow
This was my reservation
I personally think 2 4th man appointments in the same 24 hr is ludicrous as it is.

It's happened before

If the 4th comes on he won't be reffing the next day

It's happened before

If the 4th comes on he won't be reffing the next day

All the more reason not to have him on these 2 apts.
Do the apts sensibly first time of asking and nobody needs switched around, esp with, a few hours notice!

All the more reason not to have him on these 2 apts.
Do the apts sensibly first time of asking and nobody needs switched around, esp with, a few hours notice!

It's such an infrequent occurrence though

Keep it as it is and change it when needed

Correct. But why even risk it.

Because you've only a limited number of refs

The only other option is using PL2 refs to do the job...but who then refs the games they're supposed to be reffing? It would have a knock on effect all the way down professional game.

The only other option is using PL2 refs to do the job...but who then refs the games they're supposed to be reffing? It would have a knock on effect all the way down professional game.

If the richest football league in the world is short of refs, someone in a responsible position is, well, not very responsible.

Andy Madley, who as far as I know is still SG2, was 4th at Cardiff yesterday.

Its not an issue.
Until it becomes one and say, Dean was all over papers having rammys with both tech areas yesterday, well, within 24 hr he back in thick of it again.

Very unlikely he would have ended up in middle yesterday, but no matter how remote, there was still a chance

East did the live Charlton evening game, why? Where on planet footballi is he going? Give that to a up coming newbie and stick East as 4th as he is premiership deadwood anyway.

Don't underestimate the fitness of PGMOL officials, these guys are often in their late thirties or thereabouts and are still physically in their prime.

I'm sure their bodies can handle this workload. I can't actually think off the top of my head an incident where a referee has been injured in the top level of the English game.

Back