A&H

Should he have gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking more at the 'keeper wins the race' part in the OP. I guess YHTBT then plays a part as I'm actually debating this with no clue as to how far aware the striker and keeper are away from each other.
Well again, the keeper may have 'won the race', but the keeper still committed a foul to win the ball. So, the keeper winning the race is now irrelevant.

When you're thinking about DOGSO, you basically delete the entire player committing the foul.

There's enough doubt here (and plausibility!) to say what you did was correct

1: It's a 50/50 between the players. That's POSSIBLE, not OBVIOUS.

2: It's rained heavily and the lines are obscured. Any chance the keeper has caught the ball legitimately inside the penalty area but momentum, and difficulty stopping has carried him out? If so, no opportunity has been unfairly denied.

3: It's rained heavily. Good chance ball could hold up and not roll through anyway. Again, that's POSSIBLE, not OBVIOUS.

4: It's rained heavily. They're under 14s. Someone's likely to end up on their backside chasing the ball.

1) OBVIOUS OPPORTUNITY

2) That would be right - if he handled it inside then carried it outside

3) As he said, had the keeper not fouled the striker was running onto the ball with no other defenders around
4) That's simply not a consideration.

The Referee Store
Can we forget that it was the goalkeeper and just talk as though it was a defender.

The defender has used his hand/s to stop the ball going past him, into an open goal or to prevent the attacker from running past and having an open goal to shoot at.

Sound like DOGSO to me.

Well again, the keeper may have 'won the race', but the keeper still committed a foul to win the ball. So, the keeper winning the race is now irrelevant.

When you're thinking about DOGSO, you basically delete the entire player committing the foul.

1) OBVIOUS OPPORTUNITY

2) That would be right - if he handled it inside then carried it outside

3) As he said, had the keeper not fouled the striker was running onto the ball with no other defenders around
4) That's simply not a consideration.

Whilst the last of those was somewhat tongue in cheek, the others are more serious as wider points.

If it's 50-50 I maintain it's not obvious for me. The keeper has an obvious chance to clear it too by that reckoning. I have to be sure the attacker is favourite to get there to bin him. Skill level is important too.

3: Conditions will be a factor, and should be borne in mind when judging a DOGSO situation. If for example it was Aldershot-Bradford type conditions from this weekend's FA cup matches the ball is going nowhere.

Whilst the last of those was somewhat tongue in cheek, the others are more serious as wider points.

If it's 50-50 I maintain it's not obvious for me. The keeper has an obvious chance to clear it too by that reckoning. I have to be sure the attacker is favourite to get there to bin him. Skill level is important too.

3: Conditions will be a factor, and should be borne in mind when judging a DOGSO situation. If for example it was Aldershot-Bradford type conditions from this weekend's FA cup matches the ball is going nowhere.

This is exactly what I mean. 50/50 (with the defender confirmed as getting to the ball first) surely has to be promising rather than obvious?

In the case of a handball 50-50 is a non factor. Neither is other things he could have done. If you see my example of the defender on the goal line, it is a 0-100 in favour of the defender. No one else had a chance, but still a DOGSO.

It's not a 50-50 if somebody fouled to win the ball. It's a 100-0. There's no 'he could have won it without the foul'. He didn't.

and as for conditions - you're having a joke if you think 'yeah, the attacker was through on goal with nobody anywhere near him, but the pitch was slippery, so he didn't have an opportunity'.

Seriously.......what?????

It's not a 50-50 if somebody fouled to win the ball. It's a 100-0. There's no 'he could have won it without the foul'. He didn't.

and as for conditions - you're having a joke if you think 'yeah, the attacker was through on goal with nobody anywhere near him, but the pitch was slippery, so he didn't have an opportunity'.

Seriously.......what?????

100% with you on this one, a foul is a foul, and unless am not picking up the post properly, I have never heard of the pitch condition being used as a factor re DOGSO !!! That's like going down the road of judging someones' skill level before making your call, its either DOGSO or its not !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back