A&H

Should Liverpool’s 2nd goal against Manchester United have stood?

newref

Hi guys. Before the second goal was scored by Mo Salah against Man U, the referee raised his arm and made the offside signal therefore resulting in an indirect free kick. However, the keeper Allison collects the ball with his hands and then directly plays it out of his hands via a long kick to Mo Salah who then scores. Shouldn’t Allison have taken the kick off the ground? Can advantage still be played when the referee has already made a signal for offside? Any clarification from the laws on this incident please guys?

The Referee Store
Advantage can be played as long as the referee hasn't stopped play.

You see them play advantage from an offside quite alot, but normally the assistant will flag, the keeper collects the ball and the referee signals advantage.

I didn't see the game, did the referee signal offside, or did he use the one armed advantage signal?

Advantage can be played as long as the referee hasn't stopped play.

You see them play advantage from an offside quite alot, but normally the assistant will flag, the keeper collects the ball and the referee signals advantage.

I didn't see the game, did the referee signal offside, or did he use the one armed advantage signal?[/QUOTE

Craig Pawson's "signal" was a thumbs-up to his assistant (who thumbs-up's back) for the flag and play wasn't stopped.

Yes, but it looked like an offside signal on the TV.

Surely this is not what is taught in the UK - thumbs up, really?

Surely you wave down the flag? Or scream on comms to get it down and get moving...

I thought it looked poor.

(But, you know, what f***ing perch!)

Craig Pawson's "signal" was a thumbs-up to his assistant (who thumbs-up's back) for the flag and play wasn't stopped.
I’ve the watched replay over and over and zoomed into it looks nothing like a thumbs up looks like his hands is up for offside and if his playing advantage he should probably do the advantage signal first and then do the thumbs up to the lines man or acknowledge through their little microphones.

Anyway, the point Im trying to understand is that if the referee does put his hand up for offside can he then signal advantage when he realises there was no point of the offside signal?

It's a thumbs up. The signal to stop play would be the whistle.
You can also signal advantage by holding just one arm up so I have no problem with this officiating

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200120-211610.png
    Screenshot_20200120-211610.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
I’ve the watched replay over and over and zoomed into it looks nothing like a thumbs up looks like his hands is up for offside and if his playing advantage he should probably do the advantage signal first and then do the thumbs up to the lines man or acknowledge through their little microphones.
No. Match of the Day 2 13:00 onwards. Pawson thumb up, same response from the AR.

But the MU players do stop. But that is really their fault. They watched the Barca semi final. They are paid millions to play, not to stop playing!

We are moving into the pedantism territory here so lets keep the reasoning simple even if his hand was straight up and to everyone it looked like an offside hand signal. The goal can only be disallowed if the game/play was stopped. The whistle is needed to stop play for a free kick (direct or indirect). The hand signal is for the type and/or direction of the restart. You cant have a restart without the play stopping. Play was never stopped so goal stands.

It was clearly a thumps up, and that is a pretty standard signal to say to the assistant that you have seen him but will be playing on. The referee can play advantage as long as he hasn't blown the whistle to stop play, so nothing wrong here.

There's actually an argument here to say whether it is advantage or not, as has an offence actually taken place? Assistants are told to flag early to prevent a car crash between attacker and keeper, but technically speaking in those situations the attacker hasn't actually committed an offence and therefore there cannot be advantage and rather you are just playing on. I can't remember from this situation whether the Man Utd attacker touched the ball or interfered with an opponent.

We are moving into the pedantism territory here so lets keep the reasoning simple even if his hand was straight up and to everyone it looked like an offside hand signal. The goal can only be disallowed if the game/play was stopped. The whistle is needed to stop play for a free kick (direct or indirect). The hand signal is for the type and/or direction of the restart. You cant have a restart without the play stopping. Play was never stopped so goal stands.
That’s makes more sense. So if the referee raises his hand but hasn’t blown the whistle play should not be stopped is that correct?

That’s makes more sense. So if the referee raises his hand but hasn’t blown the whistle play should not be stopped is that correct?
Correct. Unless ball is already out of play. The referee shouldn't give hand signals for a restart before a whistle if the ball is still in play anyway. Things like goal kick, corner kick or throw in, you don't need a whistle since the ball is already out of play, you just need a hand signal. But certainly for free kicks, the referee should blow whistle first, and players should keep plying until the hear the whistle.

I can't remember from this situation whether the Man Utd attacker touched the ball or interfered with an opponent.

Rewatched. United player extends his foot and either misses or has zero effect. Ref in a good position and watches it comfortably collected by keeper before giving the thumbs up to lino.

I imagine they were talking and had there been anything more they would have stopped play - but it was to the game's benefit to play on

[QUOTE="one, post: 168865, member: 1378”] players should keep plying until the hear the whistle.[/QUOTE]

Nail, meet head.

Schoolboy stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
the referee raised his arm and made the offside signal therefore resulting in an indirect free kick.
I think this is where you got off on the wrong track here. You seem to be proceeding from the assumption that when a referee raises their arm, this is a) "the offside signal" and b) it is what triggers the free kick. However, as @one alluded to earlier, the whistle is what stops play and raising the arm is just an indication, when the offence is given, that the resultant free kick will be indirect. Sometimes the offence in question is offside, sometimes it isn't.

The other thing he mentions is something that I was certainly taught as a young player (and something that I tried to inculcate into the youngsters I coached in later life) - namely, "always play to the whistle."

Back