A&H

Sin Bin 17/18 trial - some results

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
There was an FA webinar on sin bins this evening. They disclosed some information about the sin bin trial last season.

31 leagues took part in the trial. In those leagues there was a 38% reduction in yellow cards for dissent. 84% of referees want to continue in those leagues want to continue using sin bins.

60+ more leagues asked to have sin bins for 2018/19

The Referee Store
I don't really understand the resistance to this idea, or at least trying it. If it's true that there's a 38% reduction in dissent that's a massive improvement.

Badge of honour for some players, lazy refereeing too, easy Kop out for a nuisance player who needs removing permanently quicker.

I don't really understand the resistance to this idea, or at least trying it. If it's true that there's a 38% reduction in dissent that's a massive improvement.
Is there any stats on of from that reduction:
  • What percentage is because players are less likely to dissent because they end up in the sin bin
  • What percentage is because referees are less likely to yellow card for dissent because they would 'ruin the game'
I think we are being conned into this by FAs to use our yellow cards even less :p

There's no way to tell. But even if only half that number is reduced dissent it's a very impressive reduction.

Why would the FA want to con us into using yellow cards less?

There's no way to tell. But even if only half that number is reduced dissent it's a very impressive reduction.
Wouldn't that benefit be offset by the other half that should have been cautioned but they weren't?

No. It would represent a massive reduction in dissent and an increase in referees not applying the law properly. Assuming you apply the law properly you would only see the benefits of less dissent.

I don't imagine for a moment that it's actually 50/50. But even if we allow this worst-case assumption, it's still a positive outcome.

Forgive my ignorance, if you're sent to the sin bin for dissent, is that still reported as a caution to the county FA?

Back