A&H
Resource icon

Sin Bin cheat sheet 1.0

No permission to download
The Referee Store
Each row in the cheat sheet (the attachment) refers to a sequence of events related to sin bin and how you as a referee respond in terms of if the binned player can return or be substituted.

For example, for first row, at the end of the second sin bin, the binned player can't return to the field but he can be substituted and the substitute can come to the field.
Or the second row, at the end of the second sin bin, the binned player can't return to the field and can't be substituted either because he also has a yellow card. So the team continues playing with one less player.

Let me know if you need explanation for any other rows.

Each row in the cheat sheet (the attachment) refers to a sequence of events related to sin bin and how you as a referee respond in terms of if the binned player can return or be substituted.

For example, for first row, at the end of the second sin bin, the binned player can't return to the field but he can be substituted and the substitute can come to the field.
Or the second row, at the end of the second sin bin, the binned player can't return to the field and can't be substituted either because he also has a yellow card. So the team continues playing with one less player.

Let me know if you need explanation for any other rows.
Ah I see so the devil's represent the sin bin offence and the yellow cards symbolise normal yellow card offences?

Ah I see so the devil's represent the sin bin offence and the yellow cards symbolise normal yellow card offences?
Absolutely, the devil is in the details. Or in this case in the bin, being the biggest sinner of all.

Absolutely, the devil is in the details. Or in this case in the bin, being the biggest sinner of all.
Ah I see one last thing for example in the second row if he commits a sin bin then a yellow card offence would you show the player a red card?

Ah I see one last thing for example in the second row if he commits a sin bin then a yellow card offence would you show the player a red card?
No. A sin bin is like a half yellow (probably a bad way to describe it).
A player can in essence receive 3 yellow cards in a game in various forms, either 2 sin bins and another non dissent-caution or two non-dissent cautions either side of a sin bin.

To confuse matters even more:
(I think they could probably hit 4 if they SB, yellow, SB, then commit another offence whilst taking no further part in the game.)

Example scenario:
Dissent = Y 10 min bin
Foul tackle = Y
Dissent = Y sin bin - no return, takes no further part, can't be subbed.
Aggressive attitude in TA = Y/R

No. A sin bin is like a half yellow (probably a bad way to describe it).
A player can in essence receive 3 yellow cards in a game in various forms, either 2 sin bins and another non dissent-caution or two non-dissent cautions either side of a sin bin.

To confuse matters even more:
(I think they could probably hit 4 if they SB, yellow, SB, then commit another offence whilst taking no further part in the game.)

Example scenario:
Dissent = Y 10 min bin
Foul tackle = Y
Dissent = Y sin bin - no return, takes no further part, can't be subbed.
Aggressive attitude in TA = Y/R
So if the player can't come back onto the pitch how do you let everyone know he can't return?

So if the player can't come back onto the pitch how do you let everyone know he can't return?
You need to tell the player and the coach or manager, including telling the latter the possibility of a substitution if applicable. Best to do it 1 to 1, no-one else needs to get involved.

There is no defined signal for this unfortunately.
As it is such a rare event I'd probably make My way to coach and tell him what his options are, or aren't as the case may be

Had one of such rare occasions during my game on Saturday where the A&H cheat sheet came in handy.

Player cautioned for a reckless tackle early doors, then sin binned for dissent on 41mins. Advised the player and his manager during the half time break where he stood.

Proactiveness appreciated by both, player very quickly substituted after his return to the FOP.

Had one of such rare occasions during my game on Saturday where the A&H cheat sheet came in handy.

Player cautioned for a reckless tackle early doors, then sin binned for dissent on 41mins. Advised the player and his manager during the half time break where he stood.

Proactiveness appreciated by both, player very quickly substituted after his return to the FOP.
Should add, it is not a requirement for the binned player to return to the field of play before being substituted. The substitute can enter the field of play after sin bin time is over instead of the binned player entering.

Back