A&H

Sin Bin Instead of Cautions - Youth

Meraxus

Level 7 Referee
I've heard recently of referee's using the sin bin for youth games instead of issuing cards. What's that about, Some way to avoid match report admin/club fines?

The Referee Store
I've heard recently of referee's using the sin bin for youth games instead of issuing cards. What's that about, Some way to avoid match report admin/club fines?
In England, sin bins should only be used for dissent offences. Using the sin bin does not reduce reporting administration, but if used improperly (e. g. for offences other than dissent) the club may be happy but the referee may end up answering to the competition and/or the County FA.

In England, sin bins should only be used for dissent offences. Using the sin bin does not reduce reporting administration, but if used improperly (e. g. for offences other than dissent) the club may be happy but the referee may end up answering to the competition and/or the County FA.
That's how I understood it but seems it's not always followed. Is it the same for tournaments? I was at one this weekend and the referee's were using 2 minute sin bins for offences other than dissent instead of giving cautions.

That's how I understood it but seems it's not always followed. Is it the same for tournaments? I was at one this weekend and the referee's were using 2 minute sin bins for offences other than dissent instead of giving cautions.
Interesting - competition rules should have been approved by the County FA as part of the tournament being sanctioned.

There's referees all over grassroots misusing and not using sin-bins some deliberately and some through ignorance.

Played in many a 5-a-side tournament using sin bins and other random rules (kick ins, keeper can't leave area etc) as far back as 30 years ago.
No idea if they were officially sanctioned or not.

There's referees all over grassroots misusing and not using sin-bins some deliberately and some through ignorance.

Played in many a 5-a-side tournament using sin bins and other random rules (kick ins, keeper can't leave area etc) as far back as 30 years ago.
Not a concern for players, but non-sanctioned competitions are (or should be) a no-no for referees.

2 minute 'Blue Card' sin bins have been part of the Official FA Small Sided LOTG for years in place of yellow cards. Standard practice in properly sanctioned Summer tournaments in this neck of the woods

2 minute 'Blue Card' sin bins have been part of the Official FA Small Sided LOTG for years in place of yellow cards. Standard practice in properly sanctioned Summer tournaments in this neck of the woods
Indeed they have - including discretion re a second blue temporary dismissal rather than a second blue becoming a red automatically.
For our newer colleagues, two main points:
1) Ensure the tournament is sanctioned (if a club invite you, ask for the County FA sanction number)
2) Ensure you have a copy of the rules for the competition and if unsure on any point, ask an experienced coleague.

Back