A&H

Sin bin query

Trueman1991

Level 5 Referee
Gave my first sin today. Easy enough player said f*** off ref after I gave his team a throw not a free kick.

I called the player over and he looked and continued walking, blew my whistle and called him over again, same response. At this point I said to his team mate who was next to me he needs to come over soon otherwise he'll change my decision.

His team mates get him to come over. I ask for his name, he tells me his first name, I asked for his second too, he said sarcastically that there's only one player with his name, I ask again and he gives it. I then sin bin him by showing a yellow card and pointing to the technical area.

I felt the player was pushing his luck, could I have given him two sin bins at once if I wanted? So he would be off for 20 minutes and not come back on?

Also both teams were confused by me showing a yellow card for a sin bin. I checked and it's definitely in the law, has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
My dissent tally is already double that of the whole of last season
Thank you FIFA, much obliged

Not sure where you guys ref but f off is definitely not a red where I come from, we'd have no players on the pitch... Straight to yellow but you wouldn't see anyone give a red.

Not sure where you guys ref but f off is definitely not a red where I come from, we'd have no players on the pitch... Straight to yellow but you wouldn't see anyone give a red.

Was it offensive, insulting or abusive???

Question 1 -
There are two parts to this question. After the original sin bin decision, he is considered a sin binned player now. Can you sin-bin a player who is already in the bin? The law is somewhat ambiguous. Its says sin bin applies to players only but not substitutes or substituted players. There is no mention of sin binned players (or players temporarily off the field of play which you could say a sin binned player can be). So if he 'dissents' again after you decided he is going to the bin, I'd count him as a player and say he can get a second sin bin while serving the first one (only an opinion). The other alternative is to caution him (in the bin) for USB.
Second part is, would he serve the two bin times in parallel or in sequence? again nothing in law. I'd say go for parallel (another opinion). discard the first timer and start a new timer for 10 minutes. In your case pretty must the same time.

Question 2 -
My association (in Aus) has opted a different simple system for sin bin which works just like a standard caution but with an additional punishment of 10 minutes in the bin. So showing a yellow is a must and everyone expects it. Hopefully someone form form where you are can respond to that question better.

Now to the subject which everyone is more interested in than answering your actual queries :) . The words on their own don't tell me if it's yellow or red. The context is very important, tone/loudness/aggression, muttered under his breath?, does he run at you to say it or does he say it while walking away, what was the lead up etc etc. It could be a yellow or red.

Last edited:
Was it offensive, insulting or abusive???
No not really, certainly doesnt sound it. I must say that phrase a 100 times a day. For me, no way is a simple f off ref on its own offinabus. Its yellow, as its obvious dissent but generalised crass language cannot be classed as offinabus for me.

Sin Bin for telling you to F off???? :poop: You class that as dissent?? :confused: How did the club marks go?? Asking for a friend!!
Normally I would let it go, maybe have a chat with them depending on how it was said. However this particular team and player had been in my ear for a while and at that point I decided enough was enough. Off he went for 10 minutes, after that the team were better so I stand by the decision.

Maybe it's a generational thing? The phrase in question is fairly common amongst my mates and people of my age, if anything it's used out of annoyance more than anything else. Certainly dissent, but I don't see it as offensive at all

It’s all context and a bit YHTBT

Shouting “oh **** off” in exasperation at a decision - dissent, sin bin YC
Directly telling me to **** off - easy RC

Maybe it's a generational thing? The phrase in question is fairly common amongst my mates and people of my age, if anything it's used out of annoyance more than anything else. Certainly dissent, but I don't see it as offensive at all

So, now telling a ref to FO is NOT now a RC?? WTAF!!! It's only a smack danny, NO yellow card (for some), its a sin bin only!!!!!

When did the snowflakes take over the asylum on this one!!! I really am shocked on this one!!! Since when its that dissent!!! FFS Get a grip!!!

So, now telling a ref to FO is NOT now a RC?? WTAF!!! It's only a smack danny, NO yellow card (for some), its a sin bin only!!!!!

When did the snowflakes take over the asylum on this one!!! I really am shocked on this one!!! Since when its that dissent!!! FFS Get a grip!!!
There was a time when swearing of this nature was not normal language. It's reached the point where it's 'normal' to direct an frustrated 'F Off' at the officials. A sad reflection on the game and I don't know what the answer is
It just ain't a talking to, that's for sure
I had a instance of this a few weeks ago. I called the player in. I also called the captain in and asked the captain, ' is there any reason why he shouldn't be dismissed for that'? To which the captain sighed
I said to the offender, that if he so much as breathed in my direction for the rest of the game, he'd instantly walk. He was good as gold after that, so perhaps this was a success from my perspective. But perhaps it was unfair on that team's rivals as it put them at a disadvantage by allowing the player to get away with a C2. I'm still undecided as to whether I was to lenient

Last edited:

Can't see how I'm the snowflake here SF! It's common parlance now

Back