A&H

Sin Bins - are you finding they help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And did Mr Platini explain which of Konrad and Wurtz ended up getting to the national or international level?

Because from the way referees are told not to make themselves the centre of attention or ruin the spectacle, and from the other feedback that is most obvious to outsiders and most important to maintaining a career, it seems like any referee who gave a yellow for dissent on their decisions (let alone a red for abuse) will find themselves soon being moved down the grades, not up them.

It's easy for him to say one thing, it's another to push back when his administration and the commercial and political pressures are very clearly against it, LOTG and Respect be damned.

They were both FIFA referees.

The Referee Store
I'd analyse this a bit more. The problem has always been there, dissent. Long ago they gave us a solution by cautioning. I am sure this tool helps to some extent when used but it is not always used. We then had:

1. Still a partially solved problem dissent (some player don't care if they are cautioned) and

2. a new problem of the tool (cautioning for dissent) not being used.

They introduced a new solution. How does this stack up. I think it significantly improve problem 1. Overall a sin bin is a much bigger deterrent than a caution. But for 2. it is now even a bigger problem. Those who would not caution for dissent would not sin bin either but also a good % of those who used to caution will not sin bin because of its impact.

So how does the new solution stack up against the old one over all? We will never know. However if you ask football bodies they will come up with some skewed stats to support their own work.

But for those of us who use whatever tool that is available to us, from experience, the new tool (sin bin) works better than the old tool (caution).

I completely agree with your assessment of the situation. The trouble continues to persist. While sin bins may be a better deterrent, they have to be used. Cautions are, likewise, a useful deterrent if you have the bottle to use them. The trouble is when colleagues won't use them--even some colleagues who will caution a player for dissent as a first caution will refuse to do it for a second caution. This, to me, is the problem and only training and support will allow them to feel comfortable using it.

I had a high C2 card count last year, and this year I am averaging a sin bin every fifth game. When I use it during a game all dissent has dissapeared from that moment, acouple of times I maybe haven't used it when I should of and have had not as good game. I think its a good thing as so far I have only had single use of it so the reality of it does show the players that I wont tolerate dissent. Also I do seem to be the ref who gives the first sin bin to their team at youth level, and first yellow and first red, and first manager caution. Oh to be last weeks ref!!!!!!

Im averaging 1 caution per game this season, and 1 sin bin every other game
stat.png
Pretty much the same as last season too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back